Radon removal carbon specs

Users who are viewing this thread

nelsonr

Reaction score
We have 3031 pCi/L radon in our water. It appears that's not an enormous amount, but it's not low either. I see references online about using a larger (10" wide) backwashable granular activated carbon filter to trap the radon and let it decay. It seems to me a regular 20" big blue activated carbon block filter should also work, but I'm not finding any information. Is there any resource showing the effectiveness of the two or is BB/block not recommended at all? Also, if carbon block works it would be useful to know what micron size I should get.

I should add we have very little sediment, there will be a 5 micron sediment filter before the carbon filter for our UV light (with the low sediment I don't expect it to clog quickly) and I'm targeting 15GPM.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The media may end up a low-level, radioactive waste. That can be problematic. While initial costs are higher, something like this can be more effective, and has less maintenance and consumables...

http://www.waterefining.com/radonaerator.html

More than one place makes similar devices, and what you ultimately do would depend somewhat on the levels involved and the volume of water you use. If you're not careful on a carbon filter, it 'fills' up, and just passes through water with high levels. Radon is probably worse coming into your shower where the spray creates a higher density where you can breath it in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks