New Water Softener and filter set-up: atypical situation!

Users who are viewing this thread

taterhed

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.

I'm installing a new (no system currently installed) whole-house water filter and softener system.
Background below:

We moved into a new home (new to us) which has a unique water situation:

1. Well Water--but community well with County-treated, metered, and tested water: Chlorine is present and very noticeable
2. Hard water: 180-240 ppm, with an average of about 12 grains, higher surges from time to time
3. Some contaminates, see the report attached, very typical for year-over-year results, and chlorine by-products
4. Water is pricey, so water usage is a concern
5. Alternate septic system with aerobic treatment and pump/spray--pricey and sensitive

Water is pretty clean and stable, fairly benign, but hard and chlorinated
I plan to install: (All 1" piping from water inlet to the whole house)

A: Pre-filter to remove any potential sediment before water filter/softener systems (5 micron 20" BB?)
B: Whole-house non-backwashing up-flow Carbon filter 2.0 ft3 with 12x40 Centaur GAC (and KDF-55 cubes/reticulated?)
C: Fleck 9100 SXT 32k alternating twin-tank with 10% resin (Vortech tanks)

My logic...
Pre-filter to keep the carbon (and resin) clean
Upflow carbon filter with KDF-55 to protect the resin/carbon from chlorine damage and remove chlorine/byproducts and metals
---not using backwash to reduce the wastewater, expensive and stressful on the alternate septic
---strongly considering the KDF-55 in cube (reticulated) form to keep carbon/KDF separate--possibly on Vortech mid-plate?
Fleck 9100 twin for several reasons:
---protect the resin using 'clean' water to backwash--like to find a system with Vortech tanks to improve/keep efficiency high
---address our wildly varying usage (3 people to 6 people, with 5 baths and lots of ancillary use (car washing, laundry, etc)
---reduce the lost reserve capacity and minimize the backwash and salt usage--protecting the alternate septic/water costs
---It's reliable

So, I have a few questions and am asking for your suggestions, critiques, and sage advice.

Current usage points to normal regens (30k) about every 7-10 days. 3-5 days when the house is full of kids etc.

Thoughts on sizing a twin? 24k seems too small, 32k seems more efficient, and not backwashing every 3-5 days, better flow rates for 1" Thoughts?

I believe the recommendation for filtered, chlorine-treated water (city), is granulated active carbon (not catalytic, etc)??? see the water report
I would like to use KDF-55 cubes, to permit exchange of the cubes (maybe above the GAC?) when needed, as they will likely fail before the carbon.
Thoughts on reticulated/cube KDF vs granulated? On a Vortech mid-plate (or just on top) ??

Interested in using Vortech tanks to reduce backwash water and salt requirements. (softener) Thoughts?
Strongly considering a Vortech carbon filter tank, with or without a Vortech "mid" platform for the KDF-55 cubes. Thoughts?

Thank you

Attachments

• water report pic.pdf
    106.2 KB · Views: 46
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks