New water softner installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Brie

Reaction score
I recently purchased a water softener that uses salt. I noticed when it was installed, black water came out of the see through plastic tubing that was inserted into my wall. I asked the installer about it and he said it was normal. The water softener looked used but he insisted it was brand new. Two days later my water heater went out. Was it normal for that water to come out black out of a brand new water heater and could that have ruined my water heater?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The short writeup at the link below, details the recommended softener startup proceedure.
https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/36-37

Don't know which clear line you are referring to. Perhaps it is the softener's drain line so the black water was discharged to drain?? Photos maybe posted.

What leads you to think the softener imaybe used? Post photos.

What type is your water heater (electric, gas, tank type or tankless??? You said 'brand new' but what do you mean by that??) and why did it fail?

Black water came out from both the softener and water heater, or only from the softener?

Last edited:

Blue Oak

Reaction score
Sounds like the water softener was plumbed backwards to me. They use some charcoal to help with the process and if water flows backwards through the softener, it'll flow out black.

Brie

Reaction score
The short writeup at the link below, details the recommended softener startup proceedure.

Don't know which clear line you are referring to. Perhaps it is the softener's drain line so the black water was discharged to drain?? Photos maybe posted.

What type is your water heater (electric, gas, tank type or tankless??? You said 'brand new' but what do you mean by that??) and why did it fail?

Black water came out from both the softener and water heater, or only from the softener?

Brie

Reaction score
The clear tubing I'm referring to,where the black water came from is one that is attached to the water softener, which was then inserted to a hole in my wall. The black water came out of it before the softner was installed. I just bought the softner (supposedly new). I wondered if it was used because this black water didn't seem normal to me. My water heater is gas. And I find it peculiar that it stopped working after the softner was installed. Also on the softer digital screen it shows 0.0 GPM. Is it supposed to be 0 or should it have a number? My water heater is gas.

Brie

Reaction score
Installed backwards? Meaning the tubing is in wrong? Don't understand. Can you please elaborate or backward installation?

Reach4

Reaction score
Installed backwards? Meaning the tubing is in wrong? Don't understand. Can you please elaborate or backward installation?
Being piped backwards would not affect backwash.

Bannerman

Reaction score
the black water came from is one that is attached to the water softener, which was then inserted to a hole in my wall. The black water came out of it before the softner was installed.
A water softener will have 4 hoses or pipes connected to it - Hard water In from water source, Soft water out to home fixtures, Drain line utilized during regeneration, Brine line connected between softener valve and brine tank.

Your description does not assist to identify the line you mention. If black water came from it before the softener installation, assuming that line was already within the home prior to the softener, then the black water will have nothing to do with the softener.

If you also include photos of the softener valve, we may be able to identify the brand and model of softener valve to determine the correct plumbing connection configuration.

Blue Oak

Reaction score

I mean the water supply coming into your house is connected to the OUTPUT fitting on the water softener, and the water line going to your shower and faucets is connected to the INPUT fitting on the softener.

I did exactly that (I'm not a pro lol) and had black looking water coming out before I wised up and fixed it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks