Yellow water again a week after new water softener installed

Users who are viewing this thread

J1624

Reaction score
We just had a new aqua sure water softener installed about a week ago. We went about 5 weeks without a softener in between the old one giving out and installation of new one. In that 5 weeks the water stained everything. The cold water would come out clear, but then turn yellow after sitting. Bath tub water would also come out yellows but quickly turn dark.

One the new softener/filtration system got installed everything seemed good within a day or so. Typical black water coming out once water came back on and yellow hot water coming out that needed to be flushed, but then everything seemed fine. No more yellow toilet water or clear water turning yellow.

Yesterday we notice some black flecks coming out of bathroom tub faucet. Then I notice the toilet water was a fight light yellow. Noticed the pets water turning yellow after it sat in the bowl. Today the bubble bath was a nice yellowish orange.

Why is this happening? We thought replacing the water softener would fix these issues? Why was it fine looking for a week and now it’s tinted again with sediment?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Supply further info including the model and capacity of your new softener, water hardness, number of residents and whether your water source is municipal or a private well. If private well, post a copy of your most recent lab test report so we will know if there is iron and/or manganese present and if so, how much of each along with other water conditions.

You mention a filtration system but didn't specify the type, size or purpose. A water softener is not a filter.

Reach4

Reaction score
A water softener is not a sediment filter.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
You must be on a well and have high iron levels in your water ....

You either need an iron filter before the water softener because a common water softener will take out maybe 3 parts per million of iron.....

and you could have biological iron in your water too.....

Whomever installed the new system needs to come back make this right
or did you do this yourself??

J1624

Reaction score
Supply further info including the model and capacity of your new softener, water hardness, number of residents and whether your water source is municipal or a private well. If private well, post a copy of your most recent lab test report so we will know if there is iron and/or manganese present and if so, how much of each along with other water conditions.

You mention a filtration system but didn't specify the type, size or purpose. A water softener is not a filter.
That’s a lot of information I unfortunately do not have all of the info to. This is the first house we’ve lived in on a private well. It’s an aqua sure water softener and filtration system. I think it is a harmony- but I’m unsure of the exact descriptions.

Last edited:

J1624

Reaction score
You must be on a well and have high iron levels in your water ....

You either need an iron filter before the water softener because a common water softener will take out maybe 3 parts per million of iron.....

and you could have biological iron in your water too.....

Whomever installed the new system needs to come back make this right
or did you do this yourself??
Someone else installed it, and I’m just waiting to hear back from him.

Yes- we definitely have high iron in our water. I am going to see if I can get a specific or maybe a better iron filter. There is a filter in the new system- I just don’t know the specifications or if it needs to be bette than what it is.

Forgive my ignorance- what is biological iron too?

We never had issues like this consistently until the old softener was starting to go. It was old. I know absolutely nothing about why this happens.

Last edited:

J1624

Reaction score

Do you have any recommendations on getting lab tests done of my water?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

J1624

Reaction score
if you are on a well you probably need an air injection type of iron filter before the water softener
not just some wimpy small thing hanging on the wall .....

Thank you for the recommendation.

J1624

Reaction score
if you are on a well you probably need an air injection type of iron filter before the water softener
not just some wimpy small thing hanging on the wall .....

And yes- we are on a well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks