Black water after pump replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
My eight year old well pump died. Had the old pump pulled out from 300 ft and new goulds 3/4 hp 7gpm 240v pump installed into well same depth. Chlorinated well 3 gallons bleach
Ran water till smelled chlorine then left for 4 hours. Started well to flush and the dark black color of the water flowed for about 2 hours. Stopped well only produces 4gpm. Next day my BB filter was clogged when I tried to fill my water heater 50gal
Cleaned and replaced filter cartridge 5grains
Ran water again for about an hour put hose in bucket less black but not clear. Should I run water every day till clear? Don’t want to run out of water. I do have hard water and manganese but prior to pump replacement the BB filter and softener cleared up the water. Filter replacement was about every 3 months. Now 1 day and filter almost clogged.
Thanks

Bannerman

Reaction score
In addition, what is the pH of the raw well water?

Chlorine has a hi pH value, so when pH is not reduced sufficiently, chlorine treatment will be less effective.

To increase effectiveness, the water pH will often require pre-treatment with white vinegar to lower the water pH to offset the pH rise that will occur due to the addition of chlorine.

Reach4

Reaction score
Run your water for hours, but if you are concerned about running the well dry, keep an eye on it.

When I sanitize my well, I recirculate the water thru a washable/reusable 4.5 x 20 filter cartridge in a BB housing.

Last edited:

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Run your water for hours, but if you are concerned about running the well dry, keep an eye on it.

When I sanitize my well, I recirculate the water thru a washable/reusable 4.5 x 20 filter cartridge in a BB housing.
I’ve only found disposable BB cartridges
At a cost of $11 each it’s getting expensive
If you could let me know where you got the reusable cartridges
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
It takes me a lot more than that for sanitizing. I measure the chlorine ppm and the pH of the recirculating water. My method is more intense than most people use, and it is better to do it in warmer weather from a comfort point of view.

But using more chlorine and/or vinegar will not help your sediment problem. The sediment came because you stirred things up.

This is my sanitizing write-up:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just keep pumping. Pump wide open with no pressure and a 7 GPM pump will make 12 GPM. Turn it off as soon as the well pumps dry, let it recover for a while, and pump it again. Anything you don't get pumped out will end up clogging the filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks