Kitchen sink repair

Users who are viewing this thread

dec2274

Reaction score
I was replacing the J bend beneath my kitchen sink and the nut attaching it to the floor tube just would not budge, no amount of liquid wrench would budge it after letting it sit for a day or so. So, I cut off the nut with a hacksaw. Now, I realize I cannot get the new nut over the little lip on the floor tube. If I snug up the other connection on the other end and install the nut below the lip of the floor tube, will this be sufficient? The floor tube is welded at the bottom, so I cannot remove it. Are there any work arounds for me?

Sign me embarrassed as all get out.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I was replacing the J bend beneath my kitchen sink and the nut attaching it to the floor tube just would not budge, no amount of liquid wrench would budge it after letting it sit for a day or so. So, I cut off the nut with a hacksaw. Now, I realize I cannot get the new nut over the little lip on the floor tube. If I snug up the other connection on the other end and install the nut below the lip of the floor tube, will this be sufficient? The floor tube is welded at the bottom, so I cannot remove it. Are there any work arounds for me?

Sign me embarrassed as all get out.

I would take a pic of your set up or what is left of it. I would also try and trace were this thing goes. From what you have said you have a full "S" trap. The "S" trap is not allowed in any plumbing codes. I would look to see if you have another trap further down maybe in the shape of a coffee can. You might need to do some more upgrading than you planed on.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I also agree that it sounds like you have an s-trap. See the pic below.

porstrap.jpg

From the sounds of it the trap is leaded in at the floor. unless your skills are higher than I think they are I wouldn't; touch that. I'd just clean off the burrs on the tube and leave as much of it as possible. replacing it with one of these.

You can upgrade to a modern p-trap but that will take some work and I'd like to see a pic of the pipe below the floor first.

Last edited by a moderator:

dec2274

Reaction score
Yeah, I have an old house, built in 1948 in SE Pennsylvania. And it does have an S trap. In fact my bathroom sink is an S trap as well. From under the kitchen sink, my drain leads right into my main waste line in the cellar.

I am not doing an upgrade, only fixing the leak beneath my sink. What I want to know is about the existing slip joint connections, having sawed off the one that is on the floor pipe. I definitely wouldn't consider doing any major re-routes of my plumbing, that's waaay beyond what I want to accomplish and my skill level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks