Does this trap adapter need a washer or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobby Roberts

Reaction score
DIYer here, trying to sort out my kitchen sink situation after switching from 2 drain to 1 drain. I bought a NIBCO 2in trap adapter fitting, and the hardware store guy said it didn't need a washer, it was built into the nut. It kind of looks like that, but I wasn't familiar with that setup.

Anyway, when I get it all installed and put the wall tube into the trap adapter, it fits but doesn't seem to snug up. And when I run the water, I'm getting a small drip. Nothing crazy, just some drops after running water for awhile.

For further context, the previous connection had the wall tube glued into a 2in->1.5in reducer fitting. I cut that off to add a 45 degree bend that I needed for the new location of the disposal. I thought the trap adapter was a better idea than gluing into a new reducer, but now I have a drip...

Do I need to add a washer? Get a new nut? Any advice?

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure the type of slip nut you have but most can change out the washer for either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" drain pipes. If it looks like this you need to change the washer to 1-1/4 for the trap arm.

1692283687515.jpeg

Bobby Roberts

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks