Is this a schrader valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rbridges

Reaction score
I figured it was a plain ole Schrader valve. The bottom was broken so I had nothing to compare, but I see that pressure pumps use Schrader and snifter valves that look similar. It’s the bottom valve with red arrow pointing to it. Thanks for the help.

E70A909D-BA5F-43A8-992D-C31D885F1C15.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliffyk

Reaction score
I figured it was a plain ole Schrader valve. The bottom was broken so I had nothing to compare, but I see that pressure pumps use Schrader and snifter valves that look similar. It’s the bottom valve with red arrow pointing to it. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 86240
A Schrader valve is a small air air valve, as commonly used on automotive tires. They are also used on "bladder" type water tanks to monitor and maintain their air charge. The valve you have indicated is almost certainly not a Schrader valve--got a better photo?

Reach4

Reaction score
It would be a snifter valve, which is very much like a Schrader valve. However it has a very weak spring that will easily open if there is a vacuum. When you put a valve cap on for protection, you make sure it is not one with a seal. Tire valve caps seal, and in fact the cap seal is the main seal for your tires.

That snifter valve would be on the well side of of the check valve.

Typically there would be a drain valve (or a little hole) down the well a bit, and when the pump shuts off, the drain valve lets water out. The pipe gets air in it. When the pump next starts, the water coming up pushes that air up, thru the check valve, and into the "galvanized"/ "conventional" pressure tank.

Rbridges

Reaction score
It would be a snifter valve, which is very much like a Schrader valve. However it has a very weak spring that will easily open if there is a vacuum. When you put a valve cap on for protection, you make sure it is not one with a seal. Tire valve caps seal, and in fact the cap seal is the main seal for your tires.
That snifter valve would be on the well side of of the check valve.

Typically there would be a drain valve (or a little hole) down the well a bit, and when the pump shuts off, the drain valve lets water out. The pipe gets air in it. When the pump next starts, the water coming up pushes that air up, thru the check valve, and into the "galvanized"/ "conventional" pressure tank.
thanks. Will it hurt to leave a schrader valve in for a day or two until I get a snifter valve? It was spraying water every time the pump cycled. And thanks for your help.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Will it hurt to leave a schrader valve in for a day or two until I get a snifter valve?
As reach4 said, the only difference is possibly the strength of the spring and even at that, there is no standard as to how strong the spring would be so there is a chance a schrader valve could work. Worst case, it doesn't make air for the HP tank but it should take more than a few days for the tank to waterlog.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks