enough room to install aquia III?

Users who are viewing this thread

asenk

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been doing a lot of research and I came to the conclusion to get a Toto Aquia III. I really want a toilet that has dual flush so that is one of the main reasons to pick the Aquia.

I just looked at my toilet today, and I have a Briggs 4730/4718. Quite old I guess since I can't find any information on it.

I did some measurements and I was wondering if I am able to install the Aquia III and the roughin measurement I should consider. I think the main issue I see is the main turn off valve is quite close to the toilet. It seems to be 4-5 inches away from the center flange(?).

Here are the pics.

IMAGE_104.jpgIMAGE_103.jpgIMAGE_102.jpgIMAGE_101.jpg

Do I have enough room or should I consider another toilet?

Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have plenty of room to install any of the Aquia toilets.
The position of the shutoff is fine, however you will want to replace it, that ridged soft copper will crack the first time you try to reposition it.

asenk

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not an expert on this by any means. I'm unsure what you mean by the ridged soft copper? Which part is that on the shutoff and why would I need to reposition it?

I plan to try to install this myself, but honestly I dont even have my own drill yet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The supply line to the toilet is integrated into the shutoff valve you have. It can't be replaced without replacing the shutoff. It is chromed copper. Once it gets old, it gets hard, and moving it may cause it to crack. You'd have to move it to take it off then reinstall it on the new toilet's inlet. I can't tell if the valve is threaded on, a compression fitting, or soldered. But, it needs to come off and a new one. Easiest is if it is threaded, next compression, then soldered. If threaded, you need to be careful that you don't unscrew the pipe going into the wall as well, or if you do, reinserting it to make a good connection.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the water supply connection is threaded at the shutoff, then you can just replace the supply tubing. That has to go.
If the supply tube is integrated into the shutoff, then the entire shutoff and supply tube needs replacing.

That type of tubing is "one use".
You don't have to understand why, just do it.

There are lots of things my surgeon knows when he cuts me open. I prefer to let him do his thing while I'm asleep.
Though it might have been a good idea to have had a recording of his mistakes from last February.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should make sure the new shut off valve is the new 1/4 turn type. These come in threaded, compression, and solder configurations. The new supply tube should have a braided stainless steel covering. Although this is not really a difficult job,

Last edited by a moderator:

asenk

Reaction score
Ah I see. For awhile I thought i had to replace the pipe coming from the wall. What a relief.

So I basically have to shut the water to my house, and remove the shutoff valve and the water supply tube that maybe is attached to it. Get a new shutoff valve and tube. Or only tube if i can remove it from the shutoff valve. Got it.

What length of tube should I be getting? Is 12in good enough?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard to tell as each shutoff is in a different place relative to the toilet, so each ends up being different. They come in nominally 4" increments. 12" is probably too short. If the store isn't too far away, buy several or measure once things are available where you can place them to get an idea. Longer isn't that big a deal, it loops well. It doesn't like to be real tight with no slack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks