Toto Aquia I - Wax Ring / Seal, installation instructions

Users who are viewing this thread

Steveo1966

Reaction score
I posted a reply to an old thread on this topic (see this link). But, since I received a warning about this being an old thread, I am posting it below as well. Apologies if this is not proper forum ettiqutte. Please let me know if so. Thank you.

___
I pulled my Toto Aquia I the other day for a bathroom re-paint and also to confirm a leak that I have suspected, as there was a little bit of seepage over time (no noticeable liquid) around the base of the front of the toilet. And yes, with the toilet removed, I can confirm that the subfloor is wet and there was a slow or periodic leak.

In my installation done in around 2007 by a rennovator, the flange is at the level of the subfloor, not at the surface level of the tile. On top of the flange was a thin rubber gasket/ring, followed by a flange spacer about 3/8 thick, followed by a thick foam rubber gasket as you can see on the right in the pic below - the beveled part is facing down. I also observed that the foam rubber ring had signs of wear.. probably becasue the toilet would rock (move) just a little if one sat down on it quickly. Below is a pic, and you can see the wear/damage on the foam rubber gasket on the right at the bottom-insight part of the gasket

1700056494872.png

Here also is a better pic showing the level of the flange relative to the tile surface

1700056462601.png

This below is what I had picked up a ways back as a replacement for the wax ring / seal...a "Danco Perfect Seal Wax Ring". Because my flange is below the level of the tile, the instructions call for the use of the blue extender as well, as shown below. What i am failing to understand is how there is enough downward pressure with the Aquia I PVC / rough in piece to "truly compress" the wax ring?

I had picked this up before I saw Jamie's suggestion (where flange is below tile) to "put a regular wax ring down 1st then a 2nd wax ring with a horn on top with the horn facing down"

Anyone have any experience with this "Perfect Seal" option? I am leaning towards heading out to the h/w store and going with what Jamie suggests.

1700056510055.png

This also leads me to a question on whether I should apply a bead of clear silicone after the toilet is installed, along the edge where the base sits on the floor. This makes for a clean looking solution and also can prevent the toilet from moving slightly, but on the flipside, I may not have noticed this leak/seepage if this was done. If I do so, I would leave the back open still.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
First, those stupid Toto plastic blocks invite toilet rocking with the Aquia. We will not install Aquia under any circumstances because of those blocks which will not secure the toilet to the floor. Yes, silicone will help a little if you let it set up for 24 hours or more before using the WC.
The Perfect Seal product is ok for some installations but I don't recommend it in your case, though it may work.
Stacking wax should work if your flange is very secure.
We normally use stacking plastic spacers after cleaning the flange thoroughly, and silicone down each spacer and use brass closet bolts and brass or ss nuts and washers to secure the stack.
Also, use hard plastic shims made for setting WCs to prevent rocking, cut flush with a sharp wood chisel and a hammer, then silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks