American Standard Push-Pull. Can anyone tell me what kind of bathtub valve this is? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

HRG

Reaction score
IMG_0943.jpg

as-push-pull-09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terpanther

Reaction score
I have this exact faucet and have been looking for a replacement or a repair kit. Was wondering if you got the kit and did it work and also, do you have to remove the entire faucet to access everything to do the repair? Is it fairly straight forward to take it apart and change the parts? Thanks!

Jbplum

Reaction score
I have this exact faucet and have been looking for a replacement or a repair kit. Was wondering if you got the kit and did it work and also, do you have to remove the entire faucet to access everything to do the repair? Is it fairly straight forward to take it apart and change the parts? Thanks!
@terpanther were you able to take this apart? For the life of me, I can’t get the spout off the trim plate or the body. Any help is appreciated!

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The connection between the spout and base has sat undisturbed for probably 60-70 years. I would apply more pressure front to back and left to right.

Jbplum

Reaction score
The connection between the spout and base has sat undisturbed for probably 60-70 years. I would apply more pressure front to back and left to right.
Thanks @Marlinman. Just when I was about to give up and replace it with a moen, I am soaking the unit in vinegar bath and plan to spray it down with wd 40 to loosen up the grime. I’ll post my results in about a week. Wife will be very unhappy I’m back to work on this… stand by.

Jbplum

Reaction score
Thanks @Marlinman. Just when I was about to give up and replace it with a moen, I am soaking the unit in vinegar bath and plan to spray it down with wd 40 to loosen up the grime. I’ll post my results in about a week. Wife will be very unhappy I’m back to work on this… stand by.
@Marlinman - firstly, the good news is that the spout did come off! I got a bit destructive and used a wooden wedge to hammer at the neck of the faucet and two parts separated. After that I was able to rebuild using the diagram and various household tools. Bad news is that when I plugged everything in back in the sink, there was a leak between the intake connector into the spout. So I took everything apart again to verify everything was seated properly and rebuild this yet again with vigor and speed only to find the water pooling at the trim plate. Anyways thank you for all the help.

I swear this faucet is like being in an escape room. I almost gave up taking this apart but ultimately I have to stop playing and get on with my life and return the mixing bowl I was using to soak the parts so kids can get back to making cookies.

Terpanther

Reaction score
@Marlinman - firstly, the good news is that the spout did come off! I got a bit destructive and used a wooden wedge to hammer at the neck of the faucet and two parts separated. After that I was able to rebuild using the diagram and various household tools. Bad news is that when I plugged everything in back in the sink, there was a leak between the intake connector into the spout. So I took everything apart again to verify everything was seated properly and rebuild this yet again with vigor and speed only to find the water pooling at the trim plate. Anyways thank you for all the help.

I swear this faucet is like being in an escape room. I almost gave up taking this apart but ultimately I have to stop playing and get on with my life and return the mixing bowl I was using to soak the parts so kids can get back to making cookies.

Hey Jbplum - Just now seeing the responses on this. I must have something turned off, so I didn't get an Email that someone replied on the thread.

I see you got the two pieces separated. I have 4 of these faucets and two of the shower fixtures in my house. Two of the bathroom faucets were having issues. One dripping and the other had no hot water. I took both of them out completely, including the base and found a local guy who put the replacement kits in. I put both of them back in and it was great until one of them started leaking around the base under the trim plate (just like you describe). I took it back and the bottom line is, he says it can't be repaired. He didn't elaborate (I just got a text). I wish I could find the actual fixtures, but they seem pretty rare. Anyway, hope you have better luck with yours!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks