Long Sweep 90 or 1/8 / Wye Combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Nate R

Reaction score
If I'm going vertical to horizontal, I don't need to use a 1/8 / Wye combo if the horizontal line doesn't extend behind the vertical drop, correct?

As in, a long sweep 90 is OK in the attached diagram in black? But if the horizontal line was longer (The blue line) THEN I would need to use a combo?

Attachments

• dwvfittings.JPG
    dwvfittings.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,809

Mikept

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
are two 1/8's together longer than a long sweep 1/4?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If I'm going vertical to horizontal, I don't need to use a 1/8 / Wye combo if the horizontal line doesn't extend behind the vertical drop, correct?

As in, a long sweep 90 is OK in the attached diagram in black? But if the horizontal line was longer (The blue line) THEN I would need to use a combo?
I hard a hard time understanding your question at first. . you can use a 1/4 bend or 90 if the horizontal does not extend to your blue line. If it goes into the blue line then a Y and 1/8 bend (45) combo is needed

are two 1/8's together longer than a long sweep 1/4?
yes they are

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
if you are going vertical to horizontal you should use either a long turn 90 or combo (wye and 45), whichever is appropriate

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

Unless the line is continuing past where the connection is made, there is no need for a Y, combo, or any other fitting other than a long radius 90 or two 45's. Therefore the question is irrelevent.

jeffrandi

Reaction score
Follow up question:

Do the above response hold true if the fixture is a water closet at the top of the vertical section (or does a WC have to be at the end of a section)?

Nate R

Reaction score
Well, I don't know the answer to the WC question. I'm sure a pro will know.

Here's what I was asking about, except now it's about done. :D

Everything after the 1/8th/Wye combo is temporary. In about a month when I'm done with the bathroom and then working on the kitchen and tearing into walls, the pipe will turn right instead of going down.

I also need to fix the hanger situation, I know.

dwvdone.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

As long as the toilet is vented it does not make any difference where it is connected. I am not sure what you mean when you say it "will turn right instead of going down", unless you mean it will continue going straight to the right.

Nate R

Reaction score
. I am not sure what you mean when you say it "will turn right instead of going down", unless you mean it will continue going straight to the right.

The obstacle on the right is a chimney. Instead of going behind it as it does now, it will go around the other side once I open up the wall on that side.
dwvdone2.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks