Wye eyed

Users who are viewing this thread

SCKNEU

Reaction score
Forgive me as I’m certain this was asked and answered. I’ve probably read the thread in which it was but for my sanity (sanitee?) I need to double check:

This is a p trap for a tub. I plan to use a horizontal wye to branch off for a dry vent, dedicated to the tub. The vent would be 1.5” (I’m in an IPC code area).

I just dry fit to illustrate: red arrow would be a 90 from horizontal to vertical for a dry vent; purple is the continuation of the horizontal waste.

Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 43

SCKNEU

Reaction score
Forgive me as I’m certain this was asked and answered. I’ve probably read the thread in which it was but for my sanity (sanitee?) I need to double check:

This is a p trap for a tub. I plan to use a horizontal wye to branch off for a dry vent, dedicated to the tub. The vent would be 1.5” (I’m in an IPC code area).

I just dry fit to illustrate: red arrow would be a 90 from horizontal to vertical for a dry vent; purple is the continuation of the horizontal waste.

Any help is appreciated!
I re-read some other threads and think I understand where I was wrong; I’ve rolled the wye and now branch from the top to vent.

In the picture below things are crooked because it’s all dry fit for illustration purposes.

Any insights / changes / advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3209.jpeg
    IMG_3209.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC code for Venting says that the vent must extend Vertically to a point no less than 6" above the Flood Level of the fixture before offsetting horizontally.

Turn the trap towards the wall where your vent is going up, then combi UP and back towards your drain.. essentially 180°

Or just point the U bend that direction, swing the trap so that your WYE is pointing at the wall (45° is considered vertical) then 45 up (still vertical). You can use the dead space under the tub too if you can't quite keep everthing in the wall framing/plate.

SCKNEU

Reaction score
IPC code for Venting says that the vent must extend Vertically to a point no less than 6" above the Flood Level of the fixture before offsetting horizontally.

Turn the trap towards the wall where your vent is going up, then combi UP and back towards your drain.. essentially 180°

Or just point the U bend that direction, swing the trap so that your WYE is pointing at the wall (45° is considered vertical) then 45 up (still vertical). You can use the dead space under the tub too if you can't quite keep everthing in the wall framing/plate.
Hey Tuttles,

Thanks for the reply!

Again, everything is just dry fit so not straight etc but I think I’ve followed your direction.

Let me know if I’ve veered off course, if you don’t mind, but regardless, thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpeg
    IMG_3212.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 30

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Tuttles,

Thanks for the reply!

Again, everything is just dry fit so not straight etc but I think I’ve followed your direction.

Let me know if I’ve veered off course, if you don’t mind, but regardless, thanks again for the help!
Yes, exactly! 100% IPC and UPC compliant venting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks