Where to plumb in a water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark1400

Reaction score
Where should I plumb a water softener given the below layout of existing house filter, pressure tank and water heater? From what I've researched, you should install it after your pressure tank, but given how mine is plumbed, there is no'after'. Would I experience any issues plumbing it right after the water filter? Thanks in advance for advice.

upload_2021-2-9_11-50-45.png

Reach4

Reaction score
You should not have a whole house filter between the well pump and the pressure tank. If that filter clogs, you deadhead the pump.

Order should be Well pump, pressure tank+pressure switch together, shutoff valve, whole house filter (ideally with bypass), softener, maybe another whole house filter, water heater

The whole house filter may be a backwashing filter, depending on the well water characteristics.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where should I plumb a water softener given the below layout of existing house filter, pressure tank and water heater? From what I've researched, you should install it after your pressure tank, but given how mine is plumbed, there is no'after'. Would I experience any issues plumbing it right after the water filter? Thanks in advance for advice.

View attachment 70790
I would place a tee on the pressure tank, then re-plumbing the well line to the pressure tank and the outgoing water to the other side of the pressure tank tee. The filter and softener should then be placed immediately after the pressure tank, in that order. Is this a manufactured home?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks