What tool can I use for large faucet lock nut

Users who are viewing this thread

sschoe2

Reaction score
Hi my house came with this kitchen faucet that has always been loose. The nut underneath the sink is 2" or more and I haven't found a tool that can get purchase enough to tighten it. I tried a basin wrench, the Rigid type faucet install tool no go. There is also this gold looking thin nut I found underneath the sink that looks to be part of it. Can anyone please advise?

Attachments

• faucetsmall.jpg
    faucetsmall.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • locknutsmall.jpg
    locknutsmall.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 39
  • nutsmall.jpg
    nutsmall.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 39

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
usually those nuts dont get tightened all the way it has 3 set screws that are tightened with screwdriver , nut driver , or socket wrench

sschoe2

Reaction score
That gold nut though doesn't look like it is designed to interact with the lock nut that is currently on there. I think there is usually a washer that goes between it and the gasket and the screws press up against the washer which presses against the gasket.

It looks like the locknut is a separate option or something. I just need to find a basin wrench that can get purchase on it? Something like this?

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe the nut you found in the cabinet was from a prior faucet. Or vice versa... but I would try it on the spout shank to see if it threads on. If so, you would also need a big thick washer to go atop of that nut for screws to push up against the sink that pushes the faucet down to tighten.

Otherwise if the nut that is installed is indeed the correct one, and you can back it off at all, I would lubricate the threads so when you do tighten it with an appropriate sized basin wrench, it will spin easier. Might make life easier if you cut away some of the 2x4 too.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually even if the nut you found will fit . you should be able to just tighten whats there and the other one just set aside

sschoe2

Reaction score
i just have an ordinary basin wrench they open quite wide .
Mine does too but it doesn't get enough purchase on the nut to turn it. It slides on the teeth on the fixed part. The typical basin wrenches I see at the box store say up to 1.5" nuts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks