Well pump constantly running and tank losing pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

RSNovi

Reaction score
Hi All,

Recently I have been having issues with water pressure from my well. I knew something was wrong when my irrigation system could not pop the heads up due to low pressure.

I went to my pressure tank and found the pump running and the pressure was around 15-20 psi. I turned off the pump via the handle on the pressure switch. Upon turning it on the pump charged the tank to 40psi and shut off. Then I noticed the pressure decreasing slowly before my eyes. Eventually the pump kicked back on and never could rebuild the pressure to 40psi to kick off. I also closed the valve feeding the house from the tank to make sure nothing in the house was leaking.

Now the pump will run basically forever and only reach about 15-20 psi. I emptied the tank and checked the air pressure in the bladder and it was at 28 psi.

The well company has been called, but they a few days out.

Chris

WorthFlorida

New Chemotherapy, Enhertu. Started June 20, 2024
Solutions
Reaction score
The pressure dropping indicates a leak and then little pressure when running. I'm first suggesting the check valve or the foot valve is stuck open with debris restricting flow or the valve itself has failed from corrosion.

I'm assuming it's a shallow well jet pump or the jet is below inside the casing. With the pump off and you ear to the intake pipe you may hear gurgling indicating water is running back down to the well. With a jet pump the jet itself can be jammed with debris causing low pressure.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Where is the pump-- down the well (submersible), or above ground?