Shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

HOODZSC

Reaction score
I have a 1 HP shallow well pump that is losing pressure while running. While not running, the pressure holds constant at 60 PSI. When the pump starts the pressure gradually drops to 40 PSI. It stays at 40 PSI for about 2 minutes and then drops suddenly to 15 PSI where it remains until I turn the water off. After the water is off, the pressure gradually rises back to 60 PSI and the pump cuts off. The pressure switch is set to 40/60. The pressure tank is at 38 PSI and appears to be functioning correctly.

What could be causing the sudden pressure drop from 40 PSI to 15 PSI? The system is not new and the pressure used to hold at 40 PSI when running in the past and did not drop to 15 PSI.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Since you know what you have call the manufacturer with the number ask what the shut off pressure is. By closing a discharge valve by passing the pressure switch, running the pump should hit + -2 lbs. Just need it to run 30 seconds. If it doesn't reach shutoff pressure or close to it impeller has a problem or drop pipe.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
1.You could be running low on the well water.

2. It could be that the pressure holds up until the pressure tank is emptied.

3. There may be a problem with the pump. Cleaning the jet might help. Might not. Since you eventually climb to 60 psi, the jet is not totally blocked. Could it be a partially clogged jet? I do not know.

4. You could try partially closing the valve that feeds water to the house. Somebody with some jet pump experience may have a suggestion along these lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks