Water Treatment Method

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbum27

Reaction score
Old time plumber however I know little about water softeners and treatment. Just bought a new house and in need of help for a self install before my wife kills me.
Is this overkill? Am I overthinking it? I may not install the UV system

Source: City Water
Chlorine: 1.1 ppm
Hardness: 80-100 ppm (4.5-5.5)
People: 6
Baths: 3-1/2
Water line size: 1"

Looking at going with Watts since our plumbing supplier will give me a great deal and I trust Watts.
Watts uses rebranded Clack valves

Step #1: Watts PWFGAC2 - 2.0 CuFt Carbon Filter (8 GPM)
Step #2: Watts PWSRTA145 - 45k alternating softener (8% resin & 15 GPM)
Step #3: Watts 20" full flow filter housing with 5 micron wound polypropylene filter
Step #4: Watts WA012AEAX 1" UV Disinfection system
Step #5: Watts RO system for drinking water & icemaker

Attachments

• ES-WQ-SmartStream-A.pdf
    648.3 KB · Views: 110
  • PWFGAC.pdf
    179.3 KB · Views: 105
  • PWSRTA.pdf
    244 KB · Views: 101

Reach4

Reaction score
I would say alternating softener is overkill unless there is something special going on. I think a softener at all for this hardness is a luxury. But luxuries can be worthwhile to many.

I think UV disinfection is overkill but I could be wrong. The carbon takes out the chlorine. Do sanitize the plumbing downstream of the UV. Include the WH. No sense having UV if there are organisms in the WH or pipes.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well sanitizing writeup. Some of the principles could be useful for pipe sanitizing. It has some overkill itself, but in sanitizing, I like overkill.

Plumbum27

Reaction score
I would say alternating softener is overkill unless there is something special going on. I think a softener at all for this hardness is a luxury. But luxuries can be worthwhile to many.

I think UV disinfection is overkill but I could be wrong. The carbon takes out the chlorine. Do sanitize the plumbing downstream of the UV. Include the WH. No sense having UV if there are organisms in the WH or pipes.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well sanitizing writeup. Some of the principles could be useful for pipe sanitizing. It has some overkill itself, but in sanitizing, I like overkill.
Thank you. I agree it seems like a luxury however, we came from a softened house and even this small amount of hardness is really noticeable once you lived with softened water for 20 years.

I'll likely skip the UV. Seems like it is more applicable to a well or specific issues (or paranoia).

Since we come from a well, the chlorine is very noticeable to us. Taking that out with a carbon filter is appealing to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks