Tub Drain Misaligned to ABS Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbyE

Reaction score
I just installed a Kohler Archer in my Bath remodel. When installing the drain pipe on the tub prior to setting it in place I thought I had it installed straight. Once in place, from the basement you can see it is slightly misaligned from being perfectly vertical to the existing drain pipe, the overflow socket down pivot to allow this. What can I do to make up for this slight angle and make the connection? Are there and PVC/ABS joints that pivot some to make up for the difference? Any sort of flexible P-Trap units? Thoughts?

drain.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is no Need to be perfectly plumb in that situation. You could likely just move the waste and overflow, or you could just move the location of the P-Trap with any series of fittings that accomplish that. Adding a 45° or 22° downstream of the trap would help you align the trap with the waste and overflow. It looks like you have plenty of room on your horizontal trap arm to make a slight offset.

BobbyE

Reaction score
@Tuttles Revenge will this angle cause any issues with draining and still function like a p trap? The thought behind the tailpipe section is so I can easily remove it for cleaning if needed. Without it and only one nut, I don’t see how it could be serviced. Let me know your thoughts! You might have to turn your phone to see the pic on the right orientation…

bobbye-2.jpg

0AB35B47-8C5A-4DD7-ACAF-74F0EEA549A1.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally when we're installing a tub drain in a closed space, then want joints that are glued and no slip joint connections.
For snaking, we go through the overflow.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah.. NO. The offset needs to happen in the horizontal portion of that black ABS pipe. The trap should remain vertical, as in the waste and overflow tee should enter the vertical portion of the U bend and the other end connects to the J bend where the U shape remains vertical. Is the new tub drain Too low to connect somehow?

10 points for the creative work around though!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Back behind where that black ABS coupling is, instead install a 45 or 22 which will direct the drain closer to the center of the tub drain. Then install the trap and use the swing of the U bend to be directly in line with the Waste and overflow Tee. All glue together fittings are preferred for the reason Terry mentioned above.

BobbyE

Reaction score
@Tuttles Revenge see pic below. This is what I was talking about originally when I made the post, the offset is minor but preventing me from lining up

bobbye-3.jpg

BobbyE

Reaction score
Back behind where that black ABS coupling is, instead install a 45 or 22 which will direct the drain closer to the center of the tub drain. Then install the trap and use the swing of the U bend to be directly in line with the Waste and overflow Tee. All glue together fittings are preferred for the reason Terry mentioned above.
@Tuttles Revenge @Terry Like this? And ignore the piece of pvc in there. Just for fitment.

DD8EB01A-E686-4D52-A940-820739676A07.jpeg

BobbyE

Reaction score
A lot better.
ABS and PVC don't glue up together. A coupling with metal wrap works for that.

mission-cp150.jpg
What about the oatey PVC to ABS transition glue? That’s what I planned to use. Any experience with it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks