Tool Sheds

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy a tool shed--Never had one before but my garage conversion makes it necessary. I'd appreciate any info on brands and materials to avoid. Here in the high desert our summer temps hit triple digits regularly. We also have gusty winds at times.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A visit to a good home center, including HD but also including a local, not national, store, would be informative as to what is available in your area. I like the Rubbermaid stuff, but cannot say how it stands up in the desert sun. Given the wind, I would look for one which has provisions to tie it down to a foundation.

Reaction score
A visit to a good home center, including HD but also including a local, not national, store, would be informative as to what is available in your area. I like the Rubbermaid stuff, but cannot say how it stands up in the desert sun. Given the wind, I would look for one which has provisions to tie it down to a foundation.

Ditto on the Rubbermaids. I had one of the 7x7 Big Max sheds for four years and it did well. However, I can't say how it would do in the desert sun. It held up well in Houston, but I did put in the optional lumber to support the roof panels. I didn't have problems with it during winds, but I disassembled it and put it in the garage when hurricane Rita was inbound (took about an hour.) I moved it to new homes twice, then sold it for 60% of original purchase price when I moved into a home with a permanent shed.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They have the rubbermaid at local bigbox so I will probably get one of those. In fact it's set up in the parking lot there so it looks like a good bet. thanks..

Reaction score
Exnay on this. LOTS of reviewers say it blows apart in 40 mph winds.

Perhaps some do, mine didn't. I wonder if they were properly assembled? It wouldn't be hard to screw up the build the first time out. I was pretty good at it by the 3rd time I moved it. Prepping the ground was critical to keeping it from being out of kilter. I cleaned all of the press fit joints and used soap (and sometimes a 2x4) to properly seat them every time I put it up. Mine had no trouble with the strong storm fronts that blew through when I lived in the Southeast. If I had known Rita would only give us 60 mph winds I would have left it up. I was prepping for 100 mph gusts.

Hope you find something that suits your conditions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks