Toilet A leaks when bathtub B drains

Users who are viewing this thread

tacosaidhi

Reaction score
Whenever our kid takes a bath in his bathroom, our bathroom toilet leaks really warm water. This is the third time it's happened, and it's most definitely caused by the second bathroom tub draining after bath time. We keep having to mop up a bunch of water and place a loud fan in the door to circulate air to keep the floor from holding any of the extra water.
I just moved into this house in October and it's been a bit difficult dealing with the pipes. The landlord has been nice so far, but it's getting a bit ridiculous how often we need to call him over for this. He has run a snake through the pipes twice so far. First he claimed we were flushing wet wipes, which I couldn't be certain my kid hadn't, so we took the hit from that one. I got rid of all the wipes in the house, and it happened again. The second time he claimed he hadn't been as thorough the first time and it wasn't something we should worry about. We have been limiting our water usage and watching when, how much, and how many different pipes we're using during the day (i.e. no washing machine until X time after a shower, no flushing until X time after a bathtub drains, etc.). Just this morning, I took a shower and the drain didn't drain near fast enough. There was water nearly up to my ankles about 5-10 minutes in. When I stepped out, there was water in the hall on the other side of the wall from the shower. The other wall connected to the shower has my bedroom on the other side, and there was water in the floor in there as well. The walls are literally leaking at the bottom if I use the shower on the wrong day. This can't be something we're causing. We're only flushing toilet paper, and the lines have been cleaned by the landlord twice.
I'm worried about mildew in the walls at this point, and I have never experienced something like this before. I would love to hear any advice or if someone else has gone through this situation.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not going to attempt to solve your issue youve described well he (landlord) isnt willing to fix the problem that i belive are leaks in pipes made worse by stopped up drains. slum lord cheap skate basicaly react the way you choose , Im no expert in tenant law maybe move out?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
LL needs to have the drains professionally cleared and scoped. A 1/4" wind up snake isn't going to do jack. That is the LL's call tho. However there usually are certain requirements for a dwelling to be considered habitable, and clogged non working drains are usually a problem. I would definitely check with the local codes and health officials if the LL doesn't resolve this appropriately.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
probebly something in the housing code against stuff like leaking sewage , mold etc. I dont want to jump on the landlord he might be renting it out for cheap

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks