Tips for adjusting air/gas combustion mix in Navien CH-240

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe B

Reaction score
Hi,
I have moved into a house with a ten year old Navien CH-240. It has one of those "two-in-one" intake exhaust things, and it runs about twelve feet out the side wall of the garage to the outdoors. (The Navien unit is in the garage.)

I have always noticed a gas smell from the exhaust when it runs, often noticeable from many feet away. I read that a little gas smell was normal, so I put it out of mind. But I just decided to have the gas company out to measure it, just to be sure.

With the Navien unit running while a hot water tap is fully on, the exhaust is blowing out 90% LEL gas and 121ppm CO.

This CH-240 unit does not have some of the altitude-adjusting DIP switches that the newer units have. Has anyone else here had a similar issue with their Navien? Did you have a tech adjust some kind of air/fuel mix in these units? Do you have any tips for successfully troubleshooting and/or adjusting the air/gas mix?

I am hesitant to adjust anything since these units seem so emotionally sensitive!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi,
I have moved into a house with a ten year old Navien CH-240. It has one of those "two-in-one" intake exhaust things, and it runs about twelve feet out the side wall of the garage to the outdoors. (The Navien unit is in the garage.)

I have always noticed a gas smell from the exhaust when it runs, often noticeable from many feet away. I read that a little gas smell was normal, so I put it out of mind. But I just decided to have the gas company out to measure it, just to be sure.

With the Navien unit running while a hot water tap is fully on, the exhaust is blowing out 90% LEL gas and 121ppm CO.

This CH-240 unit does not have some of the altitude-adjusting DIP switches that the newer units have. Has anyone else here had a similar issue with their Navien? Did you have a tech adjust some kind of air/fuel mix in these units? Do you have any tips for successfully troubleshooting and/or adjusting the air/gas mix?

I am hesitant to adjust anything since these units seem so emotionally sensitive!
Yeah don't adjust it. Let a tech do it.

Joe B

Reaction score
An update, and a new question.

Had a skilled boiler tech check and adjust combustion. He spent all day with the Navien, including replacing many O-Rings, doing a flush, replacing the igniter and fan flapper valve.

Before the adjustment, low and high fire.
IMG_1787 2.jpeg
IMG_1788 2.jpeg

After the adjustment, low and high fire.

IMG_1793.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg

Then, had the gas company come out and do a reading on the exhaust. It is now 3 - 12% LEL & CO 100 - 120ppm (was 90% LEL gas and 121ppm CO). However, gas company says this is still too high, to be suspicious of the air/gas mix for combustion, and the exhaust still smells strongly of gas.

But I noticed something. DIP Switch 4, which should be ON for and individual vent, and OFF for a shared cascading common, is set to OFF. I have a concentric intake/exhaust, and not a shared cascade common.

venting dip switches copy.png

Is it ok to flip DIP switch 4 to ON? Will this have any affect on combustion and possibly reduce the gas smell at the exhaust?

Thanks for any tips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks