Thread compound and teflon tape

Users who are viewing this thread

diveguy

Reaction score
I'm replacing a moen tub spout/diverter since the diverter works so poorly. More hot water down the drin than up to the shower! I've tried to locate a similar filler spout with limited success. The old spout is brass with a polished gold finish. Most supply houses wanted to sell me the entire shower set (Valve, escutions, drain strainer, spout/diverter, etc) One location DID have just the spout/diverter however its a plastic unit that has a polished gold finish. I'm a little concerned as to what to use threads for installation ... I usually use a small amount of rectorseal on the brass to brass NPT fittings, my question is what, if anything, should I use on the brass nipple to the plastic pipe threads of the new spout/diverter?

Thanks,

Bob

diveguy

Reaction score
HJ,

>> anything but rectorseal since some versions may melt the plastic fittings <<

Interesting. I "did" look at the rectorseal (T plus 2) directions since I've only used on brass fittings before. It did say it could be used on CPVC and ABS. The filler/diverter has an adapter for 1/2" threads, when removed it could be used for 3/4" threads. I have 1/2" so I used the adapter

I tried a few experiments last evening just for grins:

- No tape or compound
- Just tape
- Just rectorseal
- tape and rectorseal

Well no tape/rectorseal = Lots'O-leaks
Next tried just tape = Leaked again .... (I removed the adapter and taped both the nipple threads and adapter ... voila no leaks! )
Next tried just rectorsel ... again it leaked ... once again used the rectorseal on both the nipple and adapter ... success again no leaks!

Last but not least I tried using both tape and rectorseal (and here I took a short-cut to my "experiments") and applied to both the nipple and adapter the first time ... No leaks. :)

Note: The filler/diverter is "hand-tightened" ONLY per directions, I could imagine cranking the unit down on the nipple would definetly yield poor results.

YMMV...

I will still look on the web for replacement filler/diverter with brass threads as I would rest easier...

Thanks,

Bob

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Use Teflon tape on plastic threads, pipe dope can make thread too slick and may cause you to over tighten, cracking the thread.