Spigot leaking from the top handle. Replace full thing or try to find a washer?

Users who are viewing this thread

guido

Reaction score
My outside spigot started leaking when I open it, at the top handle.
Video:

I read that might be an indication of a worn washer, which is reasonable as it's pretty old looking.

My question: Is it easier to

1. take the handle off and find a matching washer or
2. is it better to just replace the whole darn matching

for option 1.

* How do I get the handle off? Should I unscrew the top screw on the handle?
* How do I find the right washer, is there a standard size or do I have to dig out, go to lowes and find a match?

for option 2.

* I read there is 1/2 and 3/4 sizes. How do I properly measure which I have? Is it the circumference of the pipe sticking out?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can buy packing for the stem.
There is a screw for the handle, and then the stem also threads off with the six sided nut there.
The packing wraps around the stem inside that six sided nut to block the water from leaking out the stem. While you have it open you can replace the faucet washer.

You will want the water off while you are making the repair.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
You might get away with tightening the packing nut, at least for some time. Could be 1 day, or could be years, or it might not work at all. But it's worth a shot. Rebuilding it as Terry described also not that hard, but by the time you find the washer and the packing, and get the bibb screw out, and possibly get a replacement screw, it could add up to a decent amount of work. If you're a plumbing you might have that stuff around, or go frequently to places that sell it.

I recently tried to rebuild a valve, and lucky me, the stem broke off. No big deal if you have a replacement on hand, but I had to drive 20 minutes the hardware store and pay double what it should have cost. Now I try to keep a few extras around, but there's always something weird you need. A box of mixed faucet washers was a great buy for me, but maybe less in newer homes where ball valves and cartridges are more common.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get some packing cord (stem packing). Turn off the valve. Remove the handle. Lift or remove the packing nut. Wrap some cord around the handle -- 3 clockwise turns?

Tighten the packing nut. Put the handle back on.

I like the white ptfe packing cord, but others have a definite preference for the black graphite type. Both are good.

The packing cord is nice in that it does not require you to match a size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks