Solution for steam Kickspace Heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

jmiris

Reaction score
So we are remodeling our kitchen and have a two pipe steam system, I live in an apartment building so I can't change that. We are very limited on space and would love to use a kickspace heater. A plumber I talked to said I should just hook it up to the hot water supply for my buildings potable water, but I worry I would be using a ton of potable water since I imagine it would have to go back down the drain, plus it will only reach about 120 degrees most of the time. My idea is what if I hook up the steam heat to a heat exchanger, and then on the other side of the heat exchanger put water in a closed loop with a circulation pump to feed the kickspace heater. Is this a crazy idea, should I just do what the plumber suggests or is there some other solution I am not thinking of to heat this space. I could even have the kick space heater and circulation pump kick on with a thermostat outlet and connect it to the steam pipe. Please any help would be super appreciated. Thank you.

Fitter30

Reaction score
There is not a just a big difference but a giant one in difference in btu's between steam and 120° water. What is going to be above the heater stored in the cabinet because it will be heated up. Max 120° water 220 btu per foot, 1 lb of steam 1194
btu's. Water that runs down a drain is wasted and costly. Has anyone ran a load to see how many btu's you need? Manufacturer of rhe kickspace heater can tell you exactly. Was a radiator removed? Size, steam, water and size height ,width and thickness? Still on the property?

Last edited:

jmiris

Reaction score
There is not a just a big difference but a giant one in difference in btu's between steam and 120° water. What is going to be above the heater stored in the cabinet because it will be heated up. Max 120° water 220 btu per foot, 1 lb of steam 1194
btu's. Water that runs down a drain is wasted and costly. Has anyone ran a load to see how many btu's you need? Manufacturer of rhe kickspace heater can tell you exactly
Above the kickspace heater would be a cabinet with pots and pans, so nothing I'm worried about getting heat. I think the amount of BTU's I need for the space is around 8,000, and on the kickspace heater it says it can get around 9,000 with even 120 degree water, but if this is just gonna go down the drain then I won't do it. Do you think my heat exchanger idea would work or is just crazy?

Fitter30

Reaction score
How is the steam and electric billed? Electric heat 2350 watt= 8k btu's
Steam buying a pump, expansion tank, heat ex water side, steam valves shut off, control valve? and cost of install. Finish floor already installed?

jmiris

Reaction score
How is the steam and electric billed? Electric heat 2350 watt= 8k btu's
Steam buying a pump, expansion tank, heat ex water side, steam valves shut off, control valve? and cost of install. Finish floor already installed?
Steam is already supplied and provided by the building its apart of my maintenance cost. Electric is out of my own pocket. So I would much prefer to rely on the steam for heating. The heat exchanger and pump are not that expensive if you see what I posted, shut off valves would have to be installed no matter if I go with the steam or hot water. My Plumber and I talked and he could set up the hot water supply from the building in a T valve that would have its supply return to the supply and not waste any water. I am going to test out the heater with our current water supply and see if it heats enough, if not I may try my heat exchanger idea. If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks