Small Cabin Rough In for DWV - Am I On The Right Track?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jedrek4680

Reaction score
Unless theres a real issue/ reason A few 90s is no big deal and Im not going through any joist or stud on a 45. I do like jumping into joist bay but if it was a crawl space I wouldnt bother drilling any joists it would be hanging . A lot of thought going into this which is good I see this little job functioning perfect for decades 50 plus years. and why not do it right just a little thought goes a long way and Jederek and Wayne you guys are keepping me thinking about ways to do things make it better and ballancing between what wont improve things or whats overkill, and a lot are just owner preferance .

Yup, I am the owner, plumber, insulation contractor, etc. so I have to balance the cost and install complexity with a good functioning system. We're planning to add an addition to the east side down the road, so I put in a wye where the kitchen line ties in and will keep that branch at 3" so we leave ourself a place to tie in the waste line for the addition in the future. Since all of this is new to me, I like to think it thru rather than fly by the seat of my pants and have to spend time tearing things apart and redoing them later... I'd rather do it right the first time and spend my time at the cabin relaxing.

Jedrek4680

Reaction score
Interesting to know. Have you considered I-joists?

I did, but wanted to stay away from engineered building materials since COVID was causing some shortages and supply chain delays when I began building. Dimensional lumber was readily available (at an inflated price unfortunately).

That's another option, I was thinking about still drilling the joists, just over the 3" main drain.

I see what you mean now, instead of coming across first, come across at the end but still up in the joists. This means 1 less drilled joist if I use a 45 to a wye after the WC... I like it.

DWV-v7-SketchUp-1.jpg

I also modelled in the 4ply 2x12 beam to show the jogs around it, moved the cleanouts above the fixture connections, and added a cleanout on the main vertical below the double tee.

DWV-v7-SketchUp-2.jpg

Now that I figured out how to sketch the 45s I ran the main stack up to the ridge where it's less likely to get sheared off by sliding snow on the 12:12 roof and more out of the way of the solar panels.

DWV-v7-SketchUp-3.jpg

This has come a long way since my original mockup... I'm learning lots about plumbing AND SketchUp :)

I checked into the required sizing and it's pretty straightforward, 2" drains for everything wyed into the 3" main line. 2" traps for everything except 1.5" for the lav. 1.5" vents everywhere except 3" for the main vent up to the ridge.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's pretty cool Jederek . The drawings that is. Is that some standard work on a computer or some software I have an ordinary lap top and desktop the family shares . I can build this stuff little out of practice but draw up by hand and figure my piece measurements etc. but your drawings are great I'm wondering if that's just standard work or special software or computer?

Jedrek4680

Reaction score
Thats pretty cool Jederek . The drawings that is. Is that some standard work on a computer or some software I have an ordinary lap top and desktop the family shares . I can build this stuff little out of practice but draw up by hand and figure my piece measurements etc. but your drawings are great Im wondering if thats just standard work or special software or computer?

When I started the project I used floorplanner.com to come up with a floorplan layout that my wife and I liked. That one lets you layout furniture and do design stuff really easily and is free. But, then I wanted to figure out the framing details so I started to play around with the program I am using for these drawings which is called SketchUp.

I used an extension called House Builder which made quick work of the wall and roof framing. I then added in the let in ledgers for the balloon framed lofts manually, and did the loft floor joists manually as well. The framing in the model is not exactly how I framed it in real life since I used 10ft studs on the gable end and notched studs instead of using a top plate on the gable end, but it still gives me a great reference for mocking up the plumbing.

Then there is another extension for the piping I am using called VBO Piping. I haven't been able to figure out how to change piping sizes but really I just need to draw out the runs since I can't visualize things in my head and need to see things drawn out before I build them.

Even when I am not at the cabin working on it, I'm always researching or doing things like this and planning out the next steps on the build. Prior to this I hadn't really had much building experience so it has been very rewarding learning all these new skills and having something to show for it at the end of the day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks