Shower Catridge Knocking

Users who are viewing this thread

Denis

Reaction score
Hi, I had exactly the same problem of knocking shower valve after we renovated our bathroom during fall 2020. That caused us a lot of stress and problems. The valve installed was a generic pressure balanced valve made in China. I was supposed to have a nice Italian valve installed but the designer finally opted for a generic valve. Each time we were doing the laundry, using the dishwasher or even flushing the toilets, there was a double knock behind the shower. Sometimes, it was very loud, especially when we were using the washing machine or late at night when the water pressure was higher. We first installed water hammer arrestors everywhere in the apartment, 14 in total but it did not resolve the problem. The colder the water was the louder was the double knock. I almost imstalled a pressure reducer but since de pressure was 60 psi, I did not. Anyhow, the condo syndicate did not allow and we did not have problems before renovating. I then got my dishwasher inspected but it was ok. We then isolated the shower valve from the rest of the plumbing by closing the two valves or soupapes in French on each side and then, the knocking miraculously stopped. After two weeks without using the shower, the plumber came to the conclusion that it was the shower cartridge. We changed the cartridge twice but the problem was still the same. Finally, I decided to install water hammer arrestors on the shower. The plumber and contractor thought that they were not required but I insisted. We made an opening in the wall from the bedroom closet behind and installed two water hammer arrestors on the shower but it did not resolve the problem. Finally, I decided to change the valve. I called at many locations and nobody could explain what was going on with my plumbing. I then called Baril Design in Montreal and the sales representative identified immediately the problem. It was the piston of the valve that was too sensitive to pressure variations . He experienced quite a few similar cases before. He proposed me a Thermostatic pressure balanced valve. Such valves have a completely different mechanism. I double checked with another plumber and he confirmed that the problem was the valve. It was not of the best quality and also, it was too small and not robust enough. He told me “I would not install that in my house”. I finally bought the thermostatic pressure balanced valve and got it installed in late March 2021. So far so good. We don’t hear any noise from the shower valve anymore. We keep our fingers crossed! Things are back to normal after spending almost 6,000 CAD$ with the plumbers, for the water hammers, for the valve and for rebuilding the wall and closet. If a better valve had been installed at first, maybe we would have saved all the stress and money and some sleeping pills!

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
generic pressure balanced valve made in China.

I would suggest starting your own topic on this subject and posting a photo of the valve you had installed. I'm going to guess its that same piece of garbage I've seen online with either a blue or orange plastic housing. If so, my only suggestion is to remove it no matter the cost to tile or drywall before it fails and leaks in the wall.

Why do so many people buy this junk? I had a customer ask to have it installed since they already purchased it.. NOPE.. its garbage.

Otanetacs

Reaction score
Check out the comments on my youtube video... we came up with a fix, but this is an awful problem

Hi there, I know this thread is a few years old, but I am being tormented by the same problem. Would you be willing to share your fix? It seems the comments on your youtube are still disabled, but I am quite desperate to resolve this issue.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you tell me where to buy one? I have the same proble,
Ugh... I was so glad to have come across this thread before one of my clients had selected one of these showers systems for their remodel project and I refused to install it. Dodged a bullet.

Is there no way to just bite the bullet and replace the shower valve with a different unit?

Otanetacs

Reaction score
Ugh... I was so glad to have come across this thread before one of my clients had selected one of these showers systems for their remodel project and I refused to install it. Dodged a bullet.

Is there no way to just bite the bullet and replace the shower valve with a different unit?
Unfortunately I have 3 of these shower systems in my house which were already pre-installed before I moved in. There are 2 in my unit, and 1 in a rental on the top floor which is part of the same water line. Replacing the valves on all 3 showers would mean breaking into the tile and restoring 3 different bathrooms, as we are not able to access the valves through the walls on the other sides. If it were just one shower I would probably bite the bullet, but x3 is too much of a cost and undertaking.

I've been experimenting with the rubber O-ring method suggested in the youtube video in a previous post, making sure the mixing component in the cartridge can still move enough to perform its function, but not enough to result in the banging. It seemed to reduce if not eliminate the problem for about a week, but now the noise seems to be back. I was really hoping there would be another alternative I'd be able to try.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have 3 of these shower systems in my house which were already pre-installed before I moved in. There are 2 in my unit, and 1 in a rental on the top floor which is part of the same water line. Replacing the valves on all 3 showers would mean breaking into the tile and restoring 3 different bathrooms, as we are not able to access the valves through the walls on the other sides. If it were just one shower I would probably bite the bullet, but x3 is too much of a cost and undertaking.

I've been experimenting with the rubber O-ring method suggested in the youtube video in a previous post, making sure the mixing component in the cartridge can still move enough to perform its function, but not enough to result in the banging. It seemed to reduce if not eliminate the problem for about a week, but now the noise seems to be back. I was really hoping there would be another alternative I'd be able to try.
Are all three Moen valve bodies. You only need to replace the cartridge with an original manufactured unit.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are all three Moen valve bodies. You only need to replace the cartridge with an original manufactured unit.
Since this is an old thread, it may be good to make sure everyone is comparing apples to apples.

The OP was referring to an amazon purchased chinese valve. I believe the fix was to purchase a non pressure balance cartridge from Aliexpress or some variant.

Otanetacs

Reaction score
Since this is an old thread, it may be good to make sure everyone is comparing apples to apples.

The OP was referring to an amazon purchased chinese valve. I believe the fix was to purchase a non pressure balance cartridge from Aliexpress or some variant.
Not sure the make/model sadly - there is absolutely no indication anywhere on or underneath any of the shower components, covers, handles, etc. I reached out to KES and Rainlex becuase it looks like it could be their's (I was sure it was KES based on photos) but both manufactures said it wasn't their's. So probably an imitator, but it operates in the exact same way and the cartridge/housing is identical to those in the youtube videos on this thread. I appreciate the replies, I'll see if there is a non-pressure balanced cartridge that is compatible with this system.