Pinhole leaks in Poly tubing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
In 2009 I installed whole-house RO with the RO system in the guest bath. I used 1/2" "clear" poly to run up to the attic and over to the master bath. About a week ago, after some serious rain we began to see ceiling wetness in the bedroom adjacent to the master bath. Of course I thought it was rain so contracted a roofer to replace the 34 year old tile roof. The curious thing was the ceiling wetness continued to spread after the rain stopped. Suspecting a possible plumbing, the roofer finally went up into the attic and discovered a spray from the 1/2" poly up into the rafters! He took a video. We immediately shut of the RO tank an the dripping from the ceiling has stopped.

I now have my long-time RO maintenance guy on board to replace the poly. He likes black poly, but I don't because I tend to think it's no better at resisting pinhole leaks than the clear stuff. Also, I've read that PEX is supposed to be better in that respect. He agreed to do it with PEX but said it will take him longer because it's a bigger diameter so he'd have to enlarge all the holes through partition cap boards etc.

And then there's the matter of some water districts switching from Chlorine to Chloramine for health reasons. I've read that Chloramine is more likely cause pinhole leaks. I don't know if that's an issue for my water district, Yorba Linda Water District.

I haven't been able to find much discussion of the "pinhole leak issue" in the Forum.

Any thoughts?

An update 6/5/2024

My RO tech found a RO unit small enough to fit under the master bath sink so he installed it and blocked off the poly pipe. No more spraying into the attic, and the roofer has finally replaced the clay tile roof. That cost over $50k and took 2 months.

So now we're looking into repairing the water damage. Just talked to our insurance agent. The issue is whether to file a claim or not. He said if the damage was due to a "sudden event" due to, say, a terrible storm or a burst pipe, it would be covered. But if it was due to lack of normal maintenance, it wouldn't.

So the question I put before the forum is weather a sudden development of a leak in poly pipe is due to lack of normal maintenance. I believe it is not. I mean, who would think of going into the attic and replacing poly RO pipe on a regular basis?

I also want to say that the the video taken by the roofer shows a tiny jet spraying up to the rafters. I believe it was a "pinhole leak, "which is rare but not unknown.

My policy has a $500 deductible and the repair of the ceiling will probably cost a few thousand., so I'm inclined to file a claim.

Your thoughts?

TIA,

Ed

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm 100% certain that poly pipe was and is not allowed for use inside of a building structure

There are a few posts about leaks in PEX.. most notably this thread.

I've been installing PEX since before it was introduced in the 90's and I've never seen a failure like anyone has described.

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I'm 100% certain that poly pipe was and is not allowed for use inside of a building structure

I've been installing PEX since before it was introduced in the 90's and I've never seen a failure like anyone has described.
Thanks. You posted this earlier. All I can say is it was me who installed it because it looked just like the tubing sold with RO systems. All of that is moot now because it's now out of service as I mentioned here today. The RO tech didn't bother to go into the attic and rip it out but has no flowing water in it.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
I would NOT file the claim. The adjuster (not the agent) will decide whether to cover the claim or not. Since the installation was not to code, it is likely that the adjuster will deny the claim. A a result, you will get no compensation, but you will have a claim (even if denied) on your record, which gives them an excuse to increase your premium next year.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
!0 years ago might have filed a claim for 2 k on homeowners but today hell no but thats me . my insureance notified me that we would not be renewable on the policy and we had a heck of a time finding new insureance we would get bquotes and denyied after applying they said we were in a fire zone just a mess so now we have 2 insureances one called bamboo and another from the state of ca . one is fire damage only the other policy everything but fire hope we never use it. Im in CA as well Florida really sucks too for home ins.
a 2 dollar claim wont be 2k dollars though the contractor will turn it into a big deal with mold testing etc. you didnt even cut the wet sheet rock out in april ? that could be negligent or lack of maitenance I dont know I think Id bite the bulli but replacing the roof i think thats on you the roof wasent bad ? good luck

Jag_Man653

Reaction score

Thanks again for your input, but I'm still mulling this over. Regarding the poly pipe, Fresh Water Systems who have been in the RO business for years and almost certainly sells primarily to residential customers, ships their systems with poly tubing. Regarding building codes, can you point me to the place in the UPC where it says "not allowed for use inside of a building structure?"

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Also, I have a video of my pinhole leak shooting a tiny jet up to the rafters.
In 2009 I installed whole-house RO with the RO system in the guest bath. I used 1/2" "clear" poly to run up to the attic and over to the master bath. About a week ago, after some serious rain we began to see ceiling wetness in the bedroom adjacent to the master bath. Of course I thought it was rain so contracted a roofer to replace the 34 year old tile roof. The curious thing was the ceiling wetness continued to spread after the rain stopped. Suspecting a possible plumbing, the roofer finally went up into the attic and discovered a spray from the 1/2" poly up into the rafters! He took a video. We immediately shut of the RO tank an the dripping from the ceiling has stopped.

I now have my long-time RO maintenance guy on board to replace the poly. He likes black poly, but I don't because I tend to think it's no better at resisting pinhole leaks than the clear stuff. Also, I've read that PEX is supposed to be better in that respect. He agreed to do it with PEX but said it will take him longer because it's a bigger diameter so he'd have to enlarge all the holes through partition cap boards etc.

And then there's the matter of some water districts switching from Chlorine to Chloramine for health reasons. I've read that Chloramine is more likely cause pinhole leaks. I don't know if that's an issue for my water district, Yorba Linda Water District.

I haven't been able to find much discussion of the "pinhole leak issue" in the Forum.

Any thoughts?

An update 6/5/2024

My RO tech found a RO unit small enough to fit under the master bath sink so he installed it and blocked off the poly pipe. No more spraying into the attic, and the roofer has finally replaced the clay tile roof. That cost over $50k and took 2 months.

So now we're looking into repairing the water damage. Just talked to our insurance agent. The issue is whether to file a claim or not. He said if the damage was due to a "sudden event" due to, say, a terrible storm or a burst pipe, it would be covered. But if it was due to lack of normal maintenance, it wouldn't.

So the question I put before the forum is weather a sudden development of a leak in poly pipe is due to lack of normal maintenance. I believe it is not. I mean, who would think of going into the attic and replacing poly RO pipe on a regular basis?

I also want to say that the the video taken by the roofer shows a tiny jet spraying up to the rafters. I believe it was a "pinhole leak, "which is rare but not unknown.

My policy has a $500 deductible and the repair of the ceiling will probably cost a few thousand., so I'm inclined to file a claim.

Your thoughts?

TIA,

Ed
This is an update.

Here's a link to my YouTube channel where you can play a video of the pinhole jet splashing off the rafters and dripping down onto the plaster board. Click here

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Another update regarding insurance claim. State Farm did cover the water damage. Restoration of the water damaged room it almost finished. All I have to pay is our $500 deductible. Moreover, SF works hand-in-glove with a reputable main contractor who is managing all the subcontractors, and interfacing with SF.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another update regarding insurance claim. State Farm did cover the water damage. Restoration of the water damaged room it almost finished. All I have to pay is our $500 deductible. Moreover, SF works hand-in-glove with a reputable main contractor who is managing all the subcontractors, and interfacing with SF.
Very common for insureance company to pay for damage to your home. what they most often wont pay is the plumbing repair itself so you could have a 50 dollar leak cause 100,000 dollars in damage and you pay 500 dedutible and the plumbing repair gets paid by home owner
BTW I skimmed over a few of the posts in this thread . and you asked for where in the code book it says in the upc that you cant use a certain poly pipe but all pipe used in your home must meet certain standards and be upc aprooved there are requirements that it be marked permanantly on the product. but you got passed all that glad to hear insurance paying the claim