Service Water line replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

kmason0614

Reaction score
I have a contract with a HVAC company that offered for a plumber to come out and do an inspection. I thought I was being a responsible homeowner but I am having regrets.

Everything on the inside of out home looked great but when he got to the service line, he basically said he is surprised we hadnt had sewage in our basement. He quoted us 20-23K for the replacement of 85 feet of service line and new water main, there was a belly which he showed me on the camera in the first 40 feet of the pipe and there was one area with one root and one area where he said it was an obvious chunk of my pipe had fallen (im not an expert but I am not sure that is what it was). It is also buried at 9 feet but if they replaced it they would bury it at 8 feet (for a few thousand less)

The home was built 1950's, there is only two of us in the home, we occasionally have a shower back up which is usually fixed by snaking the line. We have no other issues at this time. We dont flush tampons or wipes and dont dump grease. We both work out of the home so we also arent using a bathroom 24/7 at home. We have lived in the home for the last 3 years and no other major issues besides the shower drain.

I felt that he was
1. Playing on the fact that I was the female getting this information rather than my husband so played up the fear.
2. He is a sales guy too so he told me a horror story about people who waited and they ended up with a back up in their home + the replacement.
3. He also said it needed done this week.
4. my only option was full replacement.

I guess I am more concerned that I dont want to be ripped off and taken advantage off. Because on top of this I just had to get a new car so something to this extent would tighten up my finances for the next 5 years. Plus the warning signs of there being a service line issue I have not seen or smelled.

I have set up another appointment with another plumber but wondering if this is one of those things that had I not had anyone come out, I could have stay in blissful ignorance vs is this something I should worry about or just ride it out until its necessary.

I appreciate any advice as I feel like its hard to find someone who is willing to talk about this vs needing to set up a scheduled appointment to come out and do their own evaluation.

I appreciate any advice.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Get at least four prices for such a big-deal project.
A belly is not good, but if you only had shower snaking and not sewer snaking with a big machine at the 4" cleanout at the edge of the house, then you need not rush. A friend in Texas with a belly has to sewer snake often, due to major backups.
There is also 'trenchless' that, with a modest belly, can mean not the entire length needs to be dug up, just the ends if you are lucky.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a contract with a HVAC company that offered for a plumber to come out and do an inspection. I thought I was being a responsible homeowner but I am having regrets.
Should I infer that you had no symptoms? I would have done nothing, probably. Have neighbors with similar houses had problems? You can often see the after effects of a sewer line change in the yard for quite a while.

You seem less skeptical than I would be, and you seem very skeptical. I would reassess my business with the HVAC company. Have they done similar things to you directly yet?

Last edited:

kmason0614

Reaction score
Get at least four prices for such a big-deal project.
A belly is not good, but if you only had shower snaking and not sewer snaking with a big machine at the 4" cleanout at the edge of the house, then you need not rush. A friend in Texas with a belly has to sewer snake often, due to major backups.
There is also 'trenchless' that, with a modest belly, can mean not the entire length needs to be dug up, just the ends if you are lucky.
I appreciate the advice. Once I was given the quote I started looking up the trench less, but the original guy said that I couldnt do trench less. I have another person coming out this week to take a look too.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have been servicing one of my accounts since 1982. They have some root intrusion, a few minor bellies in the sewer line.
I do a yearly snaking and every 2 years I water the line.

If a sewer has to be replaced it does make sense to also install a new water line as digging is costly especially following OSHA requirements.

The sewer lines are usually below the water supply so the digging is the expensive part.

ONCE SOMEONE SAYS IT MUST BE THIS WEEK they should NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED.*

This not like a gas leak where the gas supply must be shut off immediately.

Sight unseen I would say you have at least 5 or more years before you need to take drastic action

My home was built in 1921 inside the house is cast iron outside the foundation wall is clay pipe. I had a 6 foot section of the clay pipe (11 feet down) replaced with cast iron over 12 years ago.

* I was looking at cars in Manhattan and stopped by Toyota and the sales man said "My man you better buy it today as there are not going to make another land cruiser"

I thanked him and walked passed the manager and said "Your sales rep is so honest as he said there are no more being made so I know parts may not be available" and I left and went to Manhattan Mercedes and bought a 560 SEL.

When I took the car I drove back to Toyota and parked right in front and went inside thanked the sales rep again for telling me "BETTER BUY IT NOW"

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hate to make a joke of it . but you said you "had to get a new car " dont tell me the HVAC guy sent you to his cousin the car salesman? listening to your story it sounds like a high pressure sale and you arent even having a problem . You can actually have a belly and being proactive prolong having to do anything .
BTW, Your post title starts off saying a water line not sewer , you probebly got a hairball in the shower drain I think they are trying to take advantage I dont know that but very strongly suspect it So I think you might not need anything or you have a defect that isnt critical yet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks