Repair corroded seat on pull-up shower diverter?

Users who are viewing this thread

rrando

Reaction score
I'm replacing a tub spout shower diverter using a kit (gate, washer, metal stem). There is corrosion where the washer seals. I tried to clean it with vinegar and a brush, then smooth it with a flat file. It is still quite rough. Would it be possible to apply a thin coating of epoxy or JBweld on the metal seat to make a temporary fix?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess? Try it and report back. If you can get in there and smooth it off it should work Temporary days weeks, months if real lucky. Can't hurt to try

rrando

Reaction score
i guess ?try it and report back. if you can get in there and smooth it off it should work Temporary days weeks, monthes if real luckey. cant hurt to try

Thanks, I'll try it. As you say, can't hurt.

It should be relatively easy to get a smooth surface and the remaining roughness will help the epoxy adhere. I was willing to replace the whole spout, but a piece has rotated so the setscrew is not accessible, and I didn't want to possibly mess up the repair. If the epoxy doesn't work or last very long, I'll have to come up with a better fix.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I'd have replaced the spout! My time is worth more than trying to save what's there. The seat needs to not only be flat and smooth, but parallel to the seal that meets up with it. Tricky to do.

rrando

Reaction score
Personally, I'd have replaced the spout! My time is worth more than trying to save what's there. The seat needs to not only be flat and smooth, but parallel to the seal that meets up with it. Tricky to do.

Thanks, I will definitely try to keep the seat flat, smooth and parallel to the seal. My time is worth something, but it isn't money - I enjoy the challenge of fixing stuff that isn't completely broken. Stuff used to be made to last a long time, more than a generation. I have some old hand tools that will outlive me, but a lot of the modern replacements are cheap junk. I don't think I should have to replace a bathtub spigot every 10 or 15 years. I thus consider the basic design of these pull up diverters poor, even defective.

So far I filed the corroded metal, and cleaned it with a mild acid to remove the built up and embedded calcium deposits. I used a hair dryer to make sure the interior was completely dry. I then mixed and applied a thin layer of J-B Weld as it seems easier to work than epoxy. J-B Weld is supposed to be workable with wet fingers but I did not use my finger to smooth it out as the space was too narrow. I used a split wooden popsicle stick to apply a very thin layer of J-B Weld. I am letting it harden overnight and will use a thin file wrapped with fine sandpaper to file it flat. I think a rotating valve (a simple cylinder with a hole in it) with both the valve and body made of a smooth plastic like nylon would have been a superior design. I will install the new Tub Spout Kit (Lift Knob and Diverter Gate for Moen, Lasco part 08-1049) but the old parts actually don't look particularly worn. It's the corroded seat rather than the gate or seal that seems to be source of the problem. Will let you know how my McGyver repair turns out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your water chemistry plays into how long things last. With the drought in CA, I guess you can count yourself lucky to actually HAVE water, but that's another story.

rrando

Reaction score
Your water chemistry plays into how long things last. With the drought in CA, I guess you can count yourself lucky to actually HAVE water, but that's another story.

I did the repair as described and it is better than before, but still leaks consideraby. So, plan B is to replace the whole spout. I will make a new post with a question about the best way to remove it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks