radiant floor - 1989 house

Users who are viewing this thread

allelopath

Reaction score
We are thinking of purchasing a house, built in 1989, that has radiant floor heating. I know of the infamous Entran II debacle, so when touring the house, I looked at the manifold. However, I could see no tubes, only copper.

What can I do to determine the type of tubing in the house?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Copper in concrete can be a problem...are the floors wood or concrete?

Finnegan

Reaction score
I would be surprised to find a copper radiant system installed in 1989, but I guess it is possible. I agree about staying away from a copper in concrete radiant system. It is also possible that you are looking at one manifold that leads to other manifolds that lead to pex going into the floors. In my house I have a radiant manifold in the basement with copper going from it to two other manifolds that contain the pex terminations.

allelopath

Reaction score
Was pex being used in 1989? (I didn't think it was around then)

What is the problem with copper in concrete?

The flooring is saltillo tile and I would guess that concrete is underneath that.
There is only one level to the house.

If i were to lift up one of the tiles, would I be able to see the pex or copper tubing, or is there a layer of something else in between?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The alkali in concrete can eat holes in copper. If you put a shroud around it, it can go through, like for a supply line, but would be a pain for heat (plus it would insulate it making the response and effectiveness much less). PEX has been around for a long time (mainly in Europe), not sure if it was in use in the USA back then. My guess (maybe somebody will chime in that knows) is that it would have been rare back then, plus the improvements for O2barriers and other things had not occured.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Copper into concrete sounds like you were looking at the plumbing system.

allelopath

Reaction score
from http://members.aol.com/CrushStone/cor_aclz.htm

Copper (Cu)
Copper embedded in concrete and/or mortar is usually roof flashing. Embedded copper is practically immune to reaction with corrosive alkalies, even if exposed to constant moisture. Copper will not react with dry, hardened concrete and/or mortar. Rainwater leaching, however, may bring chlorides in contact with the metal. Corrosion may occur and result in a green discoloration or runoff. Consequently, chloride admixtures should not be used in concrete if contact with copper is expected.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks