Pump Water Using Car/Truck Engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

jomar

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of a water pump designed (or adaptable) for use with a car/truck engine--while the engine is still in the vehicle? In other words, drive to location, hook up hoses/whatever, start the engine and you're pumping water for for drinking, irrigation, etc.? Thanks for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Here are a couple search terms for you:
PTO pump
12 v pump.

jomar

Reaction score
A large alternator and an inverter would let you just plug in an electric pump. If it will run all those lights in the commercial, it will also run a pump. :)
Thanks! How large? I'm looking for something that will run itself until the fuel tank goes dry. In your opinion, given the same flow rate--would I get more time out of a PTO or electric pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
would I get more time out of a PTO or electric pump?
Usually the PTO, but most vehicles don't have a power takeoff. Jeeps, tractors, some lawn tractors can have a PTO.

jomar

Reaction score
PTO driven pumps are usually fairly large. How much water are you needing? 12V may be the best for drinking water and light irrigation.

I actually do not yet know the flow rate needed. Water supply unlimited for practical purposes; likely surface water. Purpose is fire suppression. Extreme ambient heat a factor, so the fewer potential points of failure, the better--which makes me lean toward PTO. Set-up must be fast--minutes at most. Ideally it works when very wet, but not essential. Must be reasonably portable, and work with light truck passenger vehicle. I know there's a PTO winch for this vehicle, so I'm guessing a PTO water pump isn't too much of a stretch...

jomar

Reaction score
Usually the PTO, but most vehicles don't have a power takeoff. Jeeps, tractors, some lawn tractors can have a PTO.
Thanks! There is a PTO winch application for this vehicle, so should be good on that score.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You may have to run a hydraulic pump with the PTO, then use a hydraulic motor to run the water pump. Sometimes there isn't enough room to install a water pump directly on the PTO.

jomar

Reaction score
You may have to run a hydraulic pump with the PTO, then use a hydraulic motor to run the water pump. Sometimes there isn't enough room to install a water pump directly on the PTO.
Another idea, thanks! Some of those pumps do look pretty big...

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will need a pump with double bearings made for a non close coupled motor. Sometimes they’re called a pedestal pump. A normal close coupled electric motor/pump uses the motor’s bearings to support the pump.

These arewhat we use in water trucks. Run off of a pot and a drive line. Or a pot with a hydraulic pump and a hydraulic motor on the water pump. A Berkeley is a common water truck pump, but it’s a 500 gpm pump. I use 4x3 centrifugal pumps for mud drilling. I’m a dealer for MCM pumps and keep a couple in stock. They make them down to about 1 1/2 x 1”.

Seems like I’ve seen 2” pedestal pumps in the northern hydraulics catalog for a couple hundred dollars. These would be equivalent to the 5hp gas trash pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The Peterbilt I drive has two electric pumps, a low pressure feeding a garden hose, and a high pressure feeding a pressure washer gun. Not sure, but they might be using the trucks 24V system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks