Pressure Tank/Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Danny Regalia

Reaction score
My current pressure switch is 40/60. I guess my pressure tank is 40/60 as well. Lowes didn't have a 40/60 tank so I got the 30/50 tank. So my question is do I really need to do something to the switch? If so, can anyone explain how do change the switch to a 30/50 or a youtube video.
Thanks
Dan

Reach4

Reaction score
No. The air precharge would be set at 2 PSI below the 40 PSI if using a submersible pump.

Since you are in SC, I suspect you have a jet pump.. In that case, maybe 5 psi.

Danny Regalia

Reaction score
Nope no jet pump here, have a submersible pump about 200' down in the dark, cold place. But do I really, really need to do anything to the pressure switch?

Reach4

Reaction score
The air precharge should be set to 2 PSI below the cut-in pressure.

You could adjust the air precharge higher with a compressor/ tire pump, or you could adjust the pressure switch downward with the nut on the BIG nut (3.5 turns turns CCW would turn down the pressure switch (both turn on and turn off) by about 10 psi.

Usually you would adjust the air precharge. Air precharge is always measured and set with zero psi water.

Avoid a "250 psi" tire inflator. Those are normally crap. If you buy a compressor, get one with a CFM or SCFM rating. A larger bicycle pump can work.

Checking air precharge is supposed to be on your annual to-do list. I check maybe every 3.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
My current pressure switch is 40/60. I guess my pressure tank is 40/60 as well. Lowes didn't have a 40/60 tank so I got the 30/50 tank. So my question is do I really need to do something to the switch? If so, can anyone explain how do change the switch to a 30/50 or a youtube video.
Thanks
Dan
Pressure tanks don’t come 40/60 or 30/50 like a pressure switch. They do come precharged with air, usually 20-30 psi. The pressure tank needs to be precharged to 2-5 psi lower than the pressure switch cut in. If you have a 40/60 switch, drain the tank until no water comes out, check the pressure at the schrader valve on top, if needed adjust until it has approx 38 psi. No need to do anything with the pressure switch. Maybe post a picture of the tank and switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks