Potential pressure switch issue

Users who are viewing this thread

mjo5521

Reaction score
I have an issue that we started noticing recently. We have two low yield wells that feed into a storage tank in the garage, which in turn is pumped into the house with a Goulds jet pump. The other day the water pressure started dropping noticeably during showers, occasionally stopping altogether. I determined that the pump is not coming on as it is supposed to, but will eventually come on, but then it runs for what seems like way too long. I also realized that there is something wrong with the pressure gauge on top of the pump, it seems to be stuck and not moving regardless of the pressure. It seems that my pressure sensor or switch could be bad, but if I even slightly loosen the tube from the pump body to the pressure sensor, the pump kicks on immediately, but then does not shut off. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this might be the pump switch/sensor, or some kind of sediment/clog issue within the pump? It would be easy enough to replace the gauge and the switch, but just curious if the problem goes beyond that. Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The tube to the pressure switch could be clogged. The pressure switch could be bad. It could also be tripping the overload in the motor, which will cause the pump to just magically come on after being off for while. Cycling the pump on and off too much is usually the cause of pump failure as pumps are made to run 24/7 and die quickly from cycling on and off.