Portable/RV water softener recommendation for shower in rental home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ameli0rate

Reaction score
I'm in a rental home in Seattle so I can't install a whole-house softener. I've seen the RV softeners on Amazon and the like, for instance the "On The Go - OTG4-VM-DBLSOFT" 16000 grain softener. (about $270)

It comes with garden hose attachments, so I figured a couple of adapters to NPT would allow me to feed the shower output to the softener, then the softener output to the shower head, and I'll have nice itch-free skin, and less buildup in the shower.

Which leads me to my questions;

1, Are there reputable vendors/manufacturers for these? Or maybe easier - any manufacturers/vendors to avoid?
2, Any considerations other than "hook it up and use it"? From poking around, the water quality in Seattle seems fairly good, but since I see some white buildup and reddish (iron?) deposits around the drain, it appears a softener would help, right?

Dalton Bourne

Reaction score
I bought this PRO+AQUA portable water softener for our RV. We have been using a smaller 8,000-grain unit but, we travel to South Western US and the water could be so hard. I would need to regenerate the 8k unit every 4 days. With this unit, I hope to have it, lady, a full week. All I had to do was to flush the unit for a few minutes and it was ready to go. The included connections will also make regeneration easier. I ordered the regeneration filter vessel to make it easier to regenerate the softener. I use regular residential softener salt. This works well and avoids plugging when using table salt in the filter vessel.

Last edited:

Caldezrat

Reaction score
I did this in my condo. The response to hot and cold temperature changes is slow because the volume of water in the softener vessel has to pass through. Otherwise you’ll enjoy soft water! I did!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks