Pipe size for PD pump on well

Users who are viewing this thread

sky view

Reaction score
Is there any value in running 1" pex from the well > spin down > 2 stage filter > pressure tank? And if so should it be 1" from the pump to the tank (I read somewhere it should be the same size as the pump ports, which are 1/2" - everything else is 1" ports)?
Or would I be better off just going with 1/2" the whole way, the same as the existing plumbing? Less headaches, pain, trauma and expense....

- Positive displacement pump with 9' max draw to 7 gallon pressure tank, 20' total run to tank including drop pipe.

Thank you very much for any advice. My brain is tired of trying to figure this out. 1" seems logical to me but logical doesn't always work!

Reach4

Reaction score
It is usually a bad idea to have filters between the pump and the pressure switch+tank. What if the filter gets clogged? A pressure relief valve would be very important.

sky view

Reaction score
It is usually a bad idea to have filters between the pump and the pressure switch+tank. What if the filter gets clogged? A pressure relief valve would be very important.
Positive displacement pumps don't require a pressure switch and I do have a pressure relief valve for the tank. The whole house iron and manganese filter would be installed between the well and the pump, which is how it says it should be installed unless I've seriously misread something.

Reach4

Reaction score
Positive displacement pumps don't require a pressure switch and I do have a pressure relief valve for the tank. The whole house iron and manganese filter would be installed between the well and the pump, which is how it says it should be installed unless I've seriously misread something.
Clearly you are not talking about a submersible pump; I had assumed submersible.

So that would be a shallow well suction pump?

sky view

Reaction score
Clearly you are not talking about a submersible pump; I had assumed submersible.

So that would be a shallow well suction pump?
I'm not sure what a shallow well suction pump is. We have solar electric and this is a Shurflo 2088 DC positive displacement (PD) pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm not sure what a shallow well suction pump is.
A shallow well pump sucks water reliably from about 25 ft, and deeper under some conditions. It sucks the water with a vacuum. If the water depth gets too much, the water can turn into water vapor in the suction pipe.

Your system, including filtering, is not something I know about. It is not one of the common pumps for wells.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The whole house iron and manganese filter would be installed between the well and the pump, which is how it says it should be installed unless I've seriously misread something.
I have never heard of an iron and manganese filter that installs on the suction side of a pump. Do you have a link to such a document?

sky view

Reaction score
You are right. I didn't watch the video close enough. Thanks for watching out for me and pointing this out!

sky view

Reaction score
I have never heard of an iron and manganese filter that installs on the suction side of a pump. Do you have a link to such a document?
You are right. I didn't watch the video close enough. Thanks for watching out for me and pointing this out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks