P-trap too low for drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

SPSHF15

Reaction score
Hi All,
I will make a long story short and say that I had a general contractor who doesn't care to read drawing details. I ended up with the drain stub out too low for the vanity. I did some research and I believe the only answer is to pull out the vanity, cut the drywall out, and move up the drain pipe, but I wanted to check if there are any other creative ideas that would save work and pass code. I only have 1 3/8 from the bottom of the drain pipe to the bottom of the vanity.
I've seen shallow p-traps, but I don't think they are shallow enough.

IMG_6433.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Assuming the pipe is vertical in the wall, yes you could pull it and raise the santee.
If it's horizontal, you could wind up going a ways to raise it.

low-p-trap-cut-1.jpg

My first attempt at cutting the lower shelf for a p-trap. It could have been a smaller hole there. These raised cabinets were new at the time.
Unless you lay on the floor though, the lower part isn't visible in the room.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
A nice deco bottle trap might allow a hole only. Though really makes assembling and servicing terrible.
I agree w/ Terry on best solution is open wall and do it right. I don't miss idiot contractors.
1660287037880.png

SPSHF15

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to reply with closure to this thread for anyone who might search for it. I ended up raising the santee for what I think is the best looking solution. I got lucky with the pipe being vertical in the wall. Steps:
- Cut a nice wide hole in the drywall 5 inches below the santee up to 4 inches above where I wanted the new location.
- Cut the pipe out and move the santee up and use couplers to put the pipe back in.
- Replace and repair the drywall. In my case the vanity had a backing so I did not have to be perfect on the patch.
- Put the vanity back and hook it all up.
Start to finish it took me about three hours with just a couple of finishing touches left to do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 11.16.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 11.16.03 AM.png
    894.6 KB · Views: 128
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks