NPE-240A Exhaust Oil/Corrosion Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevin_IL

Reaction score
We keep getting a 110 error which is an issue with air flow on the exhaust side it seems. I checked the exhaust pipe and for some reason it sounds like we have some water in there which may be causing a slight blockage in the exhaust pipe. Im sucking that little bit of water out to see if that resolves it.

While investigating, I've noticed on the inside, there seems to be some condensation which after wiping it is looks like an oil. Any idea what is going on there? Also, the way the water heater is mounted I need a chair to see the top of it and I saw this picture attached) of a huge mess around the exhaust. Any idea what whats going on here?

Appreciate any help! Thanks!
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
1. Street 90 is the WRONG fitting to use. Doesn't seal properly so leaks. The new A2 models have a safety switch so you can't use those fittings. Has to be pipe and short piece of pipe.
2. The oily residue is common. Nothing to do but wipe if you want (no harm either way) and live with it.

Kevin_IL

Reaction score
1. Street 90 is the WRONG fitting to use. Doesn't seal properly so leaks. The new A2 models have a safety switch so you can't use those fittings. Has to be pipe and short piece of pipe.
2. The oily residue is common. Nothing to do but wipe if you want (no harm either way) and live with it.
Thanks for the reply especially on that wrong 90 bend there. I'll get that fixed.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Wouldn't be water in the exhaust unless there is a dip, which must not be there.
Otherwise, it slopes back into the unit and goes naturally out to the condensate.
Desacaled routinely appropriate to your water hardness? (not related to your current problem)

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The plastic oil sweating is a known issue for a certain production period. Like breplum said the street fitting is wrong and causing condensate to leak. Combustion condensate is acidic and corrosive which is why the top is all corroded. The vent should grade back towards the unit with no dips or traps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks