Main circuit panel replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Timmed

Reaction score
Greetings all. I am having the main circuit panel in my home replaced. It's circa 1963 technology, and I'm adding a whole-house surge and generator hook-up at the same time.

There is a 50Amp sub-panel in a detached garage that connects into my main panel. They only ran 2 conductors and a neutral to the sub, but no ground. The neutral and ground are bonded together at the sub, which would be correct in this case. I'm sure this was code at the time, but is no longer.

The work is being done by an electrician and permitted. What I'm wondering is whether the inspector will insist on pulling a ground wire to the sub in order to sign off on the main panel, or if it's grandfathered in? Any thoughts? My electrician can only tell me it "depends on the inspector".

Stuff

Reaction score
As long as the new panel is in the same spot so the wiring to the sub doesn't need spliced then it should be OK. But yes, it depends on the inspector. Some have their own ideas. If a problem ask them to show the code that requires an update (maybe there is a local amendment). You can piss them off and go to their boss but doesn't always work.

Timmed

Reaction score
As long as the new panel is in the same spot so the wiring to the sub doesn't need spliced then it should be OK. But yes, it depends on the inspector. Some have their own ideas. If a problem ask them to show the code that requires an update (maybe there is a local amendment). You can piss them off and go to their boss but doesn't always work.
Thanks Stuff. Here's hoping for a reasonable inspector.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks