Leaking threaded connection

Users who are viewing this thread

klm917

Reaction score
I finished my project of replacing a run of old galvanized pipe with copper, and all my solder joints are working great - frustratingly, I have one threaded connection to hook up a hose bibb (for a future laundry connection) that is leaking ever so slowly. It's leaking extremely slowly right out of the bottom of the threaded connection and coming up to a drop only every few hours if that. If you look closely in this picture you can see a drop forming but it'll be a long time before it actually drops.

At first I tried teflon tape, and it was leaking faster, so I took it out and used Blue Monster pipe dope, and that time screwed it in more tightly, (an extra full 360 degree turn), but it's still leaking slowly. I've done a couple of threaded connections in my shower, water heater, installing a water hammer arrestor, etc, with just tape, and I've never had leaks.

I figure I have a couple options. Any thoughts on what you would do as experienced plumbers, to resolve the problem quickly & easily?

1. Take it out and try again with both Tape & Dope together
2. Try to tighten it another quarter turn (will be sideways but I guess that's OK)
3. Get a new hose bibb because I think the threads were kind of crappy
- This is the hose bibb I am using, I liked it because it is lead free but I'm not sure about these threads
4. Wait and see if minerals in the water plug up the leak.

Thanks!

Capture - Copy.PNG

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is it that much work to unscrew tape, and dope and re install that you dont want to chance another drip? if so buy another hosebib and wrap with teflon around 5 wraps and dope the new one.

klm917

Reaction score
Sometimes I get a little nervous putting all the tension on the pipes with all the tightening and untightening like something's going to break, especially since this one was pretty tight and there are a bunch of other joints right near it. You inspired me I just took it off and tried Tape & Dope. So far so good. I didn't tighten it as much this time either.

Probably a good reminder that it isn't all made of fine china.

klm917

Reaction score
Wasn't planning on it - the horizontal copper pipe you see near the top of the picture is mounted to the wall in two places with copper bell hangers and it's really solidly in there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks