High head well pump system design

Users who are viewing this thread

Better Homes

Reaction score
Hi there,
I need to pump water from a river to a home site which is 760' above the river level. I estimate that the pipe would be 1,100' long. The water will be stored in a tank on the hill. No big flow rates necessary. There is no lack of power, it comes from the home site, either 240V AC (which I prefer) or directly from an 18 kW 48V solar system. I was considering the Grundfos SQFlex 6 SQF-3 high head pump or 2 smaller pumps with a buffer storage in between.
It is not the first well pump I install but I need advice on the general system layout and especially on the plumbing part of the project. What type of piping is necessary due to the high pressure and the long distance, what are the problems to be expected? Is there anybody who has experience with a similar situation? I live in Belize, Central America, so no sophisticated high tech materials are available. The pump etc. will be imported.
Thanks, your help is greatly appreciated!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Want to warn everyone to try to install Grundfos Solar Pumps in the developed world. Our organization work to reduce extreme poverty in rural Africa, and installed our first Grundfos pump 2017. 13 months later it broke down. 2nd Grundfos pump was installed in 2018. In 2019 it also broke down. It has cost us a lot in both time, money and lots of pain. Especially since the support from Grundfos was almost non-existent. We wanted to show the rural Africa a good example and the positives about solar pumps. Then BANG! Please think twice before you invest in those too expensive pumps.
Review by Peo
Posted on 8/20/20

The SQE or SQflex are fairly "sophisticated high tech materials". You are better off with a normal pump such as the 5S20-39 in the curve below. 800' is the same as 346 PSI. You will probable need steel pipe or at least Sch 120 PVC.

5S20-39 curve.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks