Help with push button drain with second ring/seal/gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Alan O

Reaction score
I know NOTHING about plumbing but I can follow basic instructions and I am in the middle of installing a new Delta Broadmoor faucet with push button drain. The challenge I'm having here is that the drain has two rubber gaskets. the main tapered one that goes under the sink,(above the nut) - and a second thinner one that isn't mentioned in the instructions at all (indicated by the red arrow).

Here is an image of the drain and gaskets as everything was packed in the box.

ee8699m.jpg

As you will see in the instructions, there is no mention of this second gasket/ring/seal at all.

u3PeHmG.jpg

With little other explanation, the guy at the Home Depot says that this ring goes under the sink, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Is this a ring that can be used in place of using silicone under the flange lip (as indicated in step 2B in the instructions) or is the Home Depot guy right and does it go somewhere underneath? If so, where?

I've searched extensively and there are no pictures/videos/instructions on where this goes. There are several videos for this type of drain, but none of them have this extra ring.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
The thinner one goes under the strainer inside the sink bowl in place of using plumbers putty.
I've done it, it works.