heavy rain= toilet overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

rockjet

Reaction score
hi...we have a 1/2 bath in the basement that back up when only when there is a "monsoon".

but because i'm paranoid, i put a "check-valve" down in the trap when i hear the report of heavy rainfall.

basicall the valve is screwed into the trap in place of the cap and it has a stem that u push down and then u spin the wing-nut to lock it in place. now sewage cant back into the house BUT watercant flow out either!

basically u cant flush or use water .

i've been living like this for years and now i'm fed up!

i want to seal off the toilet in the basement to rid myself of this problems. i'm tired of cleaning up filthy water in the bse if i didnt catch it in time!

i don't care that i seal up the 1/2 bath.

let the lines form at the upstairs bathroom!

THE QUESTION:..how do u seal off the toilet bowl? i would guesss that u remove it it but then what? u're loking at the flange and an open 3inch waste line..

how do ya seal it?!!

thanx in advance....mike

Tbplumbloco

Reaction score
heavy rain=toilet overflow

If you want to keep the half-bath you could install a back-water check valve in your building drain before it leaves the basement to the building sewer,this involves digging+concrete removal to install or your other option to remove the toilet,the pipe should be 3"or4"use the appropriate sized rubber compression test plug insert it and tighten up same principal as the device you are using for the floor drain.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a saturated condition in your field bed, your money would be better spent on fixing that problem than anything else. Because you will probably have all kinds of other septic things to spend money on. A check valve won't fix anything..........

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Septic or utility sewer?

I'm with plumber1, but noticed you didn't explicitly say you had a private septic system -- is this the case? If so, what's the leach field like? What's the topography of your lot and surrounding countryside?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks