Gate valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
This gate valve has a minor leak at the stem but there was no visible seal when I opened it up. The folks at Ace Hardware suggested using graphite packing tape. Your opinions are requested.

1667447355472.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a new valve. Change it out for a ball valve. You could repack it, but why?

Reach4

Reaction score
If the valve is leaking at the stem only when the valve is open, I would use white PTFE packing cord, but many others prefer the graphite. The packing cord would not have needed this much disassembly.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
At the handle end, above the threads, is a piece that pulls out. The packing goes under that.

Rmk9785e

Reaction score
Thank you all for your valuable advice. Yes, changing to ball valve would be a better long term solution but I don't want to send things to the dumpster if they can be fixed.
Excessive disassembly is indicative of an amateur learning on the job. I miss the time when high schools used to have training in trades. This forum is a great educational resource.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks