Garbage disposal recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

MPGI

Reaction score
SItuation:
30-year old garbage disposal.
Seems to run well.
Very little goes down the disposal. We compost nearly everything but now and then, we accidentally drop something while scraping dishes. We are on a septic system so absolutely no grease goes into the disposal. Every now and then, we toss in a lime rind to freshen up the drain.
Problem:
It now takes several minutes to dispose of light debris such as a lime rind.
Question: Can the blades be sharpened? Perhaps that is the problem.

I am thinking of replacing the unit but wonder how much power is needed. There are units out there with 1 1/2 to 2 hp. How much do I need to do light duty?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The brand I install is Insinkerator. If you barely use it, then the Badger 5 with 1/2 HP is a basic model.
When you get the top models, more stainless parts, autoreverse and very quiet.

evolution-compact-hero-straight.jpg
evolution-compact-back.jpg

Evolution Compact Garbage Disposal, 3/4 HP​

baffle-band--with-fruit.jpg

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
ISE, Insinkerator fan...nice prices on the products Costco carries. The American Standard models are fine, both 1.25HP and 100 or 75 for the skinny one on sale, which is fine for most any use. The $100 fat one is mostly plastic b/s...and they use the ISE flange, so in many cases you do not necessarily need to replace the flange, but, at 30...replace maybe.
1669083577857.png
1669083589079.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I won't install disposers sold by American Standard anymore. They tend to be loud, spinning at a high rate of speed, which torques the unit whenever it's switched on. I had a customer complain to me once that I must have installed it wrong because it was so loud.
Another time, I could not get the drain connection to seal. It was late afternoon, put it back in the box for the customer to return and drove to pick up an Insinkerator LT880 PRO that was more money, but OMG, they are quiet and do an amazing job.

Because of the combination of customers complaining about the American Standard disposers that they supplied, the difficulty in getting them installed without the leaks, I just won't do them anymore. Let someone else handle the complaints. I don't have time for it.

A review I found for the American Standard 1.25 HP, Agree it is loud, but horsepower usually is. Also agree the small hole in the splash guard requires you to push items into the grinder with a spoon or your hands. Small price to pay for the fantastic grinding ability.

My Insinkerator is super quiet. But if you like noisy, go with the Costco stuff. It's noisy.

Costco Review: American Standard 1.25 HP, Not the bargain I thought I was getting. It’s incredibly loud and doesn’t work that well.

American Standard 1.25 HP, I am fairly certain it is a good unit but the plastic knobs that hold it in and the noise reduces my overall rating to a 3 (average). It may have been worth spending more money on a quieter disposal.

Last edited:

MPGI

Reaction score
Thank you, Terry! The 'Executive Chef' said your quiet, reversable, InSinkErator is the winner for our kitchen. We researched them and yep, that is the way we are going. From a grateful 'Kitchen Porter,' I am most grateful.
From an old soldier, Happy Thanksgiving Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks