Fleck - How Do My Settings Look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chopstick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Based on my previous thread, I went out and purchased a Fleck system: https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-my-math-help-selecting-water-softener.89175/

Specs:
- Fleck 5600SXT
- 1.5 cubic foot resin
- 10% CL resin
- 10x54 Tank
- The Drain line has a sticker with 2.7 GPM
- The Brine line has a sticker with 0.5 GPM

Environment:
- On city water
- Hach 5B shows 8 drops, but city report says hardness anywhere from 12-15
- 3 people in home (2 adults and an infant)
- Estimated gal/day = 200 (75 per adult, 50 for infant)

I referenced this chart, but I'm not sure if I did my math correctly: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/resin-chart-jpg.54819/

DF = Gal
VT = dF1b
CT = Fd
NT = 1
C = 33
H = 8
RS = rc
RC = 200
DO = 28
RT = 5:00
BW = 5
Bd = 60
RR = 5
BF = 7
FM = P0.7

1) Do my settings look good for my environment? I'd like to try to strike a balance between salt efficiency and softness. Setting options either way would be appreciated.

2) Let's say my hardness is more than 8 and is actually 12, per the city report. I would run out of soft water before it triggers the regen, correct?

Thank you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Hach 5B shows 8 drops, but city report says hardness anywhere from 12-15
Suggest retesting hardness at various times of day as hardness may vary depending on water demand throughout the city. When titrating the sample with the test kit chemicals, swirl the sample to mix the chemicals into the sample for accurate results.

Municipal water is often obtained from multiple sources, and each will often have a different hardness amount. To anticipate times when hardness may be higher than other times, it is advisable to program the softener for an additional 2-3 gpg higher than an actual Hach 5B test result.

In answer to question #2, a metered softener such as your 5600SXT only measures the number of gallons flowing through it. If you program 12 lbs salt to regenerate 36K grains capacity and also program the hardness amount as 8 gpg hardness, it will deduct 8 gpg from the remaining capacity for every 1 gallon if soft water passing through. If the raw water actually contains 12 gpg hardness, the remaining regenerated capacity will be consumed faster than the softener has calculated, and the capacity to be regenerated each cycle will be less than the capacity that was actually consumed.

To provide a great balance of usable capacity, water quality and hardness removal efficiency, suggest programming 36,000 grains Capacity. To regenerate 36K grains will require 12 lbs salt (8 lbs/ft3 of resin) so the BF setting will then need to be increased to 8 minutes. (8 minutes BF X 0.5 gpm BLFC = 4 gallons X 3 lbs/gallon = 12 lbs total).

RT = 5:00
Regeneration will be typically programmed to occur when there is normally little or no water being utilized. For most households, this will usually be 2 am - 4 am while everyone is normally sleeping. While starting the cycle at 5-am might be OK for your family, consider the entire programmed cycle will require at least 78 minutes to complete in case anyone normally starts their day before 6:30 am.

FM = P0.7
You may wish to confirm the Flow Meter type. Most new 5600SXT systems are equipped with a turbine flow meter as opposed to a paddle wheel type currently programmed. One type is not necessarily better than the other but the program setting will need to be correct for the actual meter installed as each flowmeter type communicates each gallon flowing past very differently.

If you wish to post a photo of the flow meter, we can easily verify. The flow meter is located at the rear of the unit on the outlet connection between the bypass valve and the 5600 valve. There will be an electrical wire plugged in which leads to the SXT controller. The outlet connection is on the left when facing the softener from the front.

Chopstick

Reaction score
First and foremost, thank you for all of your assistance!

Suggest retesting hardness at various times of day as hardness may vary depending on water demand throughout the city. When titrating the sample with the test kit chemicals, swirl the sample to mix the chemicals into the sample for accurate results.

Municipal water is often obtained from multiple sources, and each will often have a different hardness amount. To anticipate times when hardness may be higher than other times, it is advisable to program the softener for an additional 2-3 gpg higher than an actual Hach 5B test result.

In answer to question #2, a metered softener such as your 5600SXT only measures the number of gallons flowing through it. If you program 12 lbs salt to regenerate 36K grains capacity and also program the hardness amount as 8 gpg hardness, it will deduct 8 gpg from the remaining capacity for every 1 gallon if soft water passing through. If the raw water actually contains 12 gpg hardness, the remaining regenerated capacity will be consumed faster than the softener has calculated, and the capacity to be regenerated each cycle will be less than the capacity that was actually consumed.

Since my original post on the other thread, I have definitely tested the water multiple times on multiple days. It is always 7-8 drops when the water turns a clear blue.

I guess that's why I asked if the soft water will run out before it triggers a regen. That's the only way to know if that setting is wrong, correct? Or is there another way to tell if my hardness setting is incorrect?

I'd like to try and run it at a 8 for a while and see how it does. If I run out of soft water before regen, then I'll bump it up to 12.

Would I need to change any other settings, if I changed my hardness to 12?

To provide a great balance of usable capacity, water quality and hardness removal efficiency, suggest programming 36,000 grains Capacity. To regenerate 36K grains will require 12 lbs salt (8 lbs/ft3 of resin) so the BF setting will then need to be increased to 8 minutes. (8 minutes BF X 0.5 gpm BLFC = 4 gallons X 3 lbs/gallon = 12 lbs total).

I've seen several post around the forum where a BF of 6 means "salt efficient", a BF of 8 means "softer" water, and a BF of 7 was a good balance, which is why I chose 7mins.

Would you mind showing me what my C settings should be if I wanted a 6 or 7 as well?
I'd like to play around with it a bit to see which I like the most.

Regeneration will be typically programmed to occur when there is normally little or no water being utilized. For most households, this will usually be 2 am - 4 am while everyone is normally sleeping. While starting the cycle at 5-am might be OK for your family, consider the entire programmed cycle will require at least 78 minutes to complete in case anyone normally starts their day before 6:30 am.

Yes, I intentionally changed it to 5am. With a newborn in the house, we're currently up at different times throughout the night feeding him between 1-3am, sometimes till 4am. 5am is quiet time right now, but I'll be adjusting the regen time as the baby's sleep schedule changes.

You may wish to confirm the Flow Meter type. Most new 5600SXT systems are equipped with a turbine flow meter as opposed to a paddle wheel type currently programmed. One type is not necessarily better than the other but the program setting will need to be correct for the actual meter installed as each flowmeter type communicates each gallon flowing past very differently.

If you wish to post a photo of the flow meter, we can easily verify. The flow meter is located at the rear of the unit on the outlet connection between the bypass valve and the 5600 valve. There will be an electrical wire plugged in which leads to the SXT controller. The outlet connection is on the left when facing the softener from the front.

Yes, I have a paddle wheel type meter. The housing has a "dome" shape to it on the top. I actually used this picture from a post as a reference: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?attachments/img_fleck5600sxt_flow-png.31592/

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess that's why I asked if the soft water will run out before it triggers a regen. That's the only way to know if that setting is wrong, correct? Or is there another way to tell if my hardness setting is incorrect?

I'd like to try and run it at a 8 for a while and see how it does. If I run out of soft water before regen, then I'll bump it up to 12.

Would I need to change any other settings, if I changed my hardness to 12?
Your plan is good. No other changes needed.

Would you mind showing me what my C settings should be if I wanted a 6 or 7 as well?
I'd like to play around with it a bit to see which I like the most.
Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5
Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
2.000 ; 15.0 ; 2
3.000 ; 20.7 ; 3
4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4
5.000 ; 28.7 ; 5
6.000 ; 31.5 ; 6
7.000 ; 33.9 ; 7 ;* truncate.
8.000 ; 36.0 ; 8
9.000 ; 37.7 ; 9
10.000 ; 39.3 ; 10

Chopstick

Reaction score
Your plan is good. No other changes needed.

Revised based on number from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-for-programming-fleck-5810.82673/#post-595983
BLFC = 0.5
cubic ft resin = 1.5
Alternative C and BF pairs:
lb/cuft ; C= ; BF=
2.000 ; 15.0 ; 2
3.000 ; 20.7 ; 3
4.000 ; 25.1 ; 4
5.000 ; 28.7 ; 5
6.000 ; 31.5 ; 6
7.000 ; 33.9 ; 7 ;* truncate.
8.000 ; 36.0 ; 8
9.000 ; 37.7 ; 9
10.000 ; 39.3 ; 10

I noticed you're using decimal numbers in your "C" numbers. My unit only puts whole number. Is there a way to put in decimal numbers in the unit?

Bannerman

Reaction score
It is always 7-8 drops when the water turns a clear blue.
Your other thread stated the sample was not remaining Blue at 8 drops but was returning to Pink. That suggested the actual hardness was not yet fully determined.

Although you may measure 8 gpg hardness, your municipality tested the water source hardness range to be 12-15. With a municipal supply obtained from multiple sources, always recommended to anticipate there will be some hardness variance so suggest programming at least 2 gpg higher than measured at your location. Raising the hardness setting will not require other setting adjustments.

The amount of Capacity to be regenerated for each salt amount is indicated in the chart you referenced in post #1 above. That chart shows the regenerated capacity for 1.5 ft3 resin utilizing 6 lbs/ft3 (9 lbs salt total) is 31,500 grains and 36,000 gr for 8 lbs/ft3 (12 lbs total). For 7 lb/ft3 (10.5 lbs total), 33K gr will be appropriate.

Water treatment often involves compromise and balance. The most common recommendation for the best balance of efficiency, capacity and water quality is 8 lbs/ft3, but some want even higher efficiency so 6 lbs/ft3 is usually the lowest salt setting recommended.

While 6 lbs/ft3 will increase the Hardness Removal Efficiency from 3,000 gr/lb to 3,500 gr/lb, the compromise will be lower quality soft water, and since the Capacity setting will also be lower, regeneration will need to be more frequent, resulting in additional water utilized each month/year for regeneration.

Reach4

Reaction score
I noticed you're using decimal numbers in your "C" numbers. My unit only puts whole number. Is there a way to put in decimal numbers in the unit?
Not in the 5600SXT. It is best to discard (truncate) the decimal point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks