Drain pipe expansion/contraction noise

Users who are viewing this thread

yasonjim

Reaction score
My drain pipes make a loud ticking noise in the colder months whenever hot water is run through them. I've read this is from the expansion and contraction of the pipe rubbing against the wood framing. Has anyone here fixed this issue themselves? Haven't found any write-ups or videos of anyone doing the actual job. Bit hesitant to go into the dark and open up a bunch of drywall not knowing if I can fix the sound. The pipes are a black plastic, not cast iron. Also unsure if the pipes themselves are causing the noise, rather than the rubbing against the wood.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
IT maybe the hot water lines expanding and contracting and not the drainage.

Get a pail of hot water from another fixture and pour it down the drain that makes noise and see it is still creaks.

sajesak

Reaction score
My drain pipes make a loud ticking noise in the colder months whenever hot water is run through them. I've read this is from the expansion and contraction of the pipe rubbing against the wood framing. Has anyone here fixed this issue themselves? Haven't found any write-ups or videos of anyone doing the actual job Streamline N1740BL-100 Specification online. Bit hesitant to go into the dark and open up a bunch of drywall not knowing if I can fix the sound. The pipes are a black plastic, not cast iron. Also unsure if the pipes themselves are causing the noise, rather than the rubbing against the wood.
3 storey new build house, whenever plugs are removed in basins or baths after a bath etc. The noise of the plastic waste pipes expanding and contracting as the waste hot water flows down the main 4" waste is very loud and echoing throughout the rooms nearest to the waste pipe on all 3 floors.(sounds like someone is tapping a hammer rapidly)

Does anybody have any idea why this is please, and more importantly how to solve it. The developer/builder says its normal!!Strange how it hasn't happened in my previous new houses then.

Reaction score
I have similar issue. Is the solution some type of noise damping near the pipe. Meaning I have to remove the drywall and put the insulation around the pipe. Also this noise only started in the last 3 years. I have been living in this building for 13 years. More recent item than in the past.

yasonjim

Reaction score
IT maybe the hot water lines expanding and contracting and not the drainage.

Get a pail of hot water from another fixture and pour it down the drain that makes noise and see it is still creaks.
Just the drain, when we had copper piping there were expansion noises for both supply and drain lines. After a repipe with PEX, only the drain expansion noise remains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks