Do I need a permit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm preparing to add a second bath in my basement. First step I took was to look into getting a permit to tie in to my sewer. From what it looks like to me I'm not required in Philadelphia, PA to obtain a permit since I'm in a one family dwelling.

I'm not familiar with the L and I department so I'm not sure if this is normal.

Here is the link to the permits page for philadelphia that lists the one and two family dwelling exception...

Https://business.phila.gov/plumbing-permit/

Stuff

Reaction score
If you are in the city limits then you need to hire someone. Permits are required for everything but can only be pulled by licensed contractors.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You apparently do NOT need a plan, although one might be a good idea before you do the work and then find out it has to be redone. You DO, however, need a permit, otherwise how could they readjust your property taxes to show the increase in your home's value.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
From Philadelphia Plumbing Code-

P-105.1 License required. No person shall install plumbing, water drain or waste piping, or fixtures unless properly
licensed pursuant to Title 9, Section 9-1003. No person shall hire such unlicensed person to perform plumbing
work. Any person who has had plumbing work performed by an unlicensed person must have a Registered Master
Plumber inspect and if necessary redo the work. Permits must be secured for the inspection activity and for any
additional plumbing work as a result of the inspection.

I think they write this into the code to protect the city and keep the unions happy. You would really need to check with the district licensing office to see what a single-family residential owner is allowed to do.

Last edited:

Greg Pizzola

Reaction score
From Philadelphia Plumbing Code-

P-105.1 License required. No person shall install plumbing, water drain or waste piping, or fixtures unless properly
licensed pursuant to Title 9, Section 9-1003. No person shall hire such unlicensed person to perform plumbing
work. Any person who has had plumbing work performed by an unlicensed person must have a Registered Master
Plumber inspect and if necessary redo the work. Permits must be secured for the inspection activity and for any
additional plumbing work as a result of the inspection.
Looks like I'll be digging and my plumber will be doing the plumbing. Although, isn't that code kind of contradictory? ...You must use a plumber, but if you don't you need it inspected by a plumber.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be digging and my plumber will be doing the plumbing. Although, isn't that code kind of contradictory? ...You must use a plumber, but if you don't you need it inspected by a plumber.

A plumber can collect a fee to sign off on your work and get you through the inspection process. Whether you can find one who will do that is another story.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks