Deep Well Submersible Pump Recomendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Lewis Epting

Reaction score
I am replacing a 15 year old submersible pump (3 wire-yellow, red, black, green).
I need a complete motor and head.
TDH minimum of 392 ft
20 GPM
40 PSI
(This well is used for daily lawn irrigation, but is a low yield. The well refills overnight, so the TDH is based on the depth of the well (240 ft). Ive been using this well this way for the last 15 years. I am considering adding dry well control, similar to pumptech.
This pump is difficult to pull, so I want a pump with a long life!
I'm also planning to replace the current 11/4 PVC with a single coil strand of enviropure or similar high pressure pipe (200 psi min).
Please advise recommendations for pump/motor, and pipe .
The current pump which has failed after 15 years, is a Goulds 4" with franklin 1.5 hp with external controller.

Reach4

Reaction score
The current pump which has failed after 15 years, is a Goulds 4" with franklin 1.5 hp with external controller.
What is the mode of failure? Are you confident that the problem is not just the control box? A start capacitor getting old or a relay failing in the box could cause the pump to not start and to trip the breaker due to high current.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
TDH of 392' in a 240' deep well means you are running 65 PSI not 40 PSI to the sprinklers? And there is no way a 1.5HP can pump 20 GPM from that TDH, it would take a 3HP. I am guessing you have a 10 GPM, 1.5HP instead? The Goulds pump you have is one of the best you can get, and should have lasted longer than 15 years. Any pump will last longer if you keep if from cycling on and off by adding a Cycle Stop Valve. However, you will need to know the actual GPM of your 1.5HP pump and the pressure rating of your pipe before adding a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks