CWS certification

Users who are viewing this thread

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I am considering the CWS certification offered by the Water Quality Association and was looking for feedback from folks who currently hold this certification or have held it at one time (objective pros and cons welcome). Thanks.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I am considering the CWS certification offered by the Water Quality Association and was looking for feedback from folks who currently hold this certification or have held it at one time (objective pros and cons welcome). Thanks.
What do you do for a living and, what do you want or expect the certification to do for you?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You can join the WQA and get quite a lot of education without going through certification. Depending on how much business you do, the cost can be quite high IMO. At least it was when I was a member 20 years ago.

Again, in my opinion, I see certification as a marketing tool aimed at those prospective customers that lean heavily toward warm'n fuzzy and don't do any research. Some of the largest crooks in this industry are WQA members and have their sales people Certified.

Are you going to be in a rural or urban area? If small town rural with individual wells, certification is probably not very important, you really must have someone to guide you or have all the 'education' you can muster or you will not survive long enough to develop sufficient experience to see you through the start up period (1st 5 years). And if you get a bad word of mouth reputation, certified or not, you'll be gone much sooner.

In an urban and large suburban areas... IMO that's where the biggest crooks flourish because the population seems to depend on things like certification and the crooks hone their abilities to be able to find a new sucker around the next corner.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
You can join the WQA and get quite a lot of education without going through certification. Depending on how much business you do, the cost can be quite high IMO. At least it was when I was a member 20 years ago.

Again, in my opinion, I see certification as a marketing tool aimed at those prospective customers that lean heavily toward warm'n fuzzy and don't do any research. Some of the largest crooks in this industry are WQA members and have their sales people Certified.

Are you going to be in a rural or urban area? If small town rural with individual wells, certification is probably not very important, you really must have someone to guide you or have all the 'education' you can muster or you will not survive long enough to develop sufficient experience to see you through the start up period (1st 5 years). And if you get a bad word of mouth reputation, certified or not, you'll be gone much sooner.

In an urban and large suburban areas... IMO that's where the biggest crooks flourish because the population seems to depend on things like certification and the crooks hone their abilities to be able to find a new sucker around the next corner.

Well Gary you do have an opinion about this:D I am in very rural areas for the most part. My largest source of education is from my supplier who has the technical support to assist me and they have been "spot on". I do enjoy the water conditioning end of the business and figured I now should take the next step. I agree the membership is quite expensive comparing it to other professional organizations I have belonged to, however, it is a nice way to motivate myself to learn the material.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I was 99% rural and found a mentor/supplier with 20+ years experience in rural retail before he went into wholesale about 1987. I met him in 1989 and I stuck with him until he retired about 2003. There's nothing better and in essence, it's free and provides you a parachute at the same time; he suggested and sold you the equipment you sold.

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I was 99% rural and found a mentor/supplier with 20+ years experience in rural retail before he went into wholesale about 1987. I met him in 1989 and I stuck with him until he retired about 2003. There's nothing better and in essence, it's free and provides you a parachute at the same time; he suggested and sold you the equipment you sold.

That is very similar to the arrangement I have now. The thing that is interesting about conditioning is that there are numerous ways to correct the same problem. I just figure two heads are better than one and so I'd like to pursue more knowledge.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I always went along with old grumpy John's suggestions although we'd discuss my ideas and he'd tell me his experience with it and I'd buy what he suggested. He was never wrong. He was always looking into the latest 'stuff' and testing it on his son or one of us dealers. If John said use it, it worked.

I haven't talked to him in years, he sold the company and about 5 yrs later had to take it back for lack of payments and turned it over to his son I guess. I couldn't get along with him so we parted ways and grumpy John went fishing somewhere and I lost his home number. I still think of him frequently. I never found anyone to replace him.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Certification!

I've been Certified by the National Ground Water Assn. much of my life and I've been Master Ground Water Certified (known in the ground water industry as the "Green Jackets"). I was the 4th MGWC in 1983 of which there are only a total of 84 today.

Has the certification helped my business? I can't say that it has brought in a lot more business or dollars!

How has certification helped me personally? Yes, It let's me know I am among the elite in the ground water industry and among my peers.

Would I recommend being certified as a CWS certification offered by the Water Quality Association? Yes, If it's going to be your trade!

Search Google for MGWC roster and you'll find us listed.

Good Luck!

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
In the water treatment industry there are many shysters hiding behind certification. And yes there are some that are not certified in whatever area of certification the WQA offers.

Many are worse than ambulance chasing lawyers or rip off used car salesmen yet the CWS etc. behind their name says that they are supposed to be of the highest character while maintaining the highest ethical standards... And the WQA does nothing to weed them out of the membership. That applies to companies also.

I don't see the same type thing in the NGWA membership. I've know a number of well drillers and pump guys and must say, for the most part they are honest hardworking guys. The only thing I find that I don't like is their insistence of drilling a new well when the water could be treated for much less expense and effort and the fact that there is no guarantee of improved water quality with a new well; and treatment would be needed anyway.

Congratulations Porky, that's something to be proud of.

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm looking to take my CWS exam in November. I have my NGWA CPI certification and my state well drillers license, both have been of tremendous value to me. Most smart consumers will only hire individuals that show some proof of merit and knowledge. Just studying for my CWS exam and reading my WQA material has given me a wealth of knowledge. I strongly suggest getting your certification and reading as much as you can about water treatment. The more knowledge you gain, the more fluently you speak to consumers about what they need, and that gives people confidence in hiring you.

Good Luck,

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I'm looking to take my CWS exam in November. I have my NGWA CPI certification and my state well drillers license, both have been of tremendous value to me. Most smart consumers will only hire individuals that show some proof of merit and knowledge. Just studying for my CWS exam and reading my WQA material has given me a wealth of knowledge. I strongly suggest getting your certification and reading as much as you can about water treatment. The more knowledge you gain, the more fluently you speak to consumers about what they need, and that gives people confidence in hiring you.

Good Luck,

Sammy

Thanks. I just received a large package from WQA outlining the certification process and it looks good. I will be ordering the materials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks